website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

Just now, Monzanator said:

Really cool to see Ferhat win a medal. There is still hope for small aka new gymnastics nations :d

The funny thing is that Turkey is kind of a newcomer, but a medal was not actually something unexpected. In fact, I expected a lot more from them. This bronze medal is still a historic achievement, but given the quality of their gymnasts, they could have walked away with four medals instead of one. A lot of missed opportunities here, for sure.

I'm actually a lot more impressed with Armenia. Turkey spends a lot of money on gymnastics, but Armenia indeed has a small program with little hope of success. The fact that one of their gymnasts got a medal is mindblowing.

9 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

The funny thing is that Turkey is kind of a newcomer, but a medal was not actually something unexpected. In fact, I expected a lot more from them. This bronze medal is still a historic achievement, but given the quality of their gymnasts, they could have walked away with four medals instead of one. A lot of missed opportunities here, for sure.

I'm actually a lot more impressed with Armenia. Turkey spends a lot of money on gymnastics, but Armenia indeed has a small program with little hope of success. The fact that one of their gymnasts got a medal is mindblowing.

Yes, I noticed Turkey has at least two world class male gymnasts who can mix it up with the traditional powerhouses. I even predicted them winning one medal in the contest but I forgot in which event :p

14 gold medals in artistic gymnastics and a grand total of 1 athlete wins multiple golds.. Daiki Hashimoto.  No one else won more than 1.  That's a rarity.

8 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I’m not sure if we are spending a lot of money, gymnastics is still pretty new and no sport other than football and basketball in Turkey systematically gets a lot of money. It would be much higher compared to Armenia though, I agree.

I think we suffered from lack of olympic culture in gymnastics in this olympics. Other than Arıcan, all of our gymnast attended an olympics for the first time. So although I think we really missed a lot of opportunities I can see why our gymnast could not perform at their best except Arıcan. 

By the way, I hope it will be even better in Paris, we will come with a team this time and hopefully get more medals, but I don’t measure success with medals for now for us, first we need to build the culture in this sport to be consistently successful, so joining with a team and making finals should be the priority.

10 hours ago, NearPup said:

Forget a podium, can Roumania even qualify a team for 2024? They seem to have less depth than a bunch of countries that have never won an Olympic medal (like Australia or Canada).

Well with Ana Maria Barbosu, Sabrina Voinea, Lari Iordache, Ioana Stanciulescu, Silviana Sfiringu, Mara Ceplinschi, Andreea Munteanu who is back and Antonia Duta i think Paris 2024 is safe for us and i think we will have a big chance to win at least one medal.

3 minutes ago, IoNuTzZ said:

Well with Ana Maria Barbosu, Sabrina Voinea, Lari Iordache, Ioana Stanciulescu, Silviana Sfiringu, Mara Ceplinschi, Andreea Munteanu who is back and Antonia Duta i think Paris 2024 is safe for us and i think we will have a big chance to win at least one medal.

I can see Romania qualifying a full team for Paris.

However, there's something that might become a problem: uneven bars. Barbosu and Iordache are the only ones with acceptable routines, and I wouldn't count on Iordache from now on. She will probably retire. Her body can't take it anymore, unfortunately. Ceplinschi and Stanciulescu could help, in theory, but they need to improve quite a bit. I wouldn't trust Duta for any serious team, though, or even Trica, Preda or Trestianu.

Sfiringu, Barbosu and Voinea have a bright future ahead of them, especially Barbosu and Voinea. If they are healthy, Romania will be very close to their glory days.

4 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I can see Romania qualifying a full team for Paris.

However, there's something that might become a problem: uneven bars. Barbosu and Iordache are the only ones with acceptable routines, and I wouldn't count on Iordache from now on. She will probably retire. Her body can't take it anymore, unfortunately. Ceplinschi and Stanciulescu could help, in theory, but they need to improve quite a bit. I wouldn't trust Duta for any serious team, though, or even Trica, Preda or Trestianu.

Sfiringu, Barbosu and Voinea have a bright future ahead of them, especially Barbosu and Voinea. If they are healthy, Romania will be very close to their glory days.

Lari said she will retired for now but she will be back stronger so I think her main goal is Paris 2024

Definetly the contenders for the team are Voinea, Barbosu, Sfiringu and Stanciulescu we will have to wait to see what happens. First test, the worlds with Stanciulescu and Sfiringu

17 hours ago, IoNuTzZ said:

First test, the worlds with Stanciulescu and Sfiringu

Wow, I'm surprised to discover that Barbosu is still not age eligible for the World Championships! But she will be available for 2022 and this is what matters. Romania absolutely needs her if they want to qualify a team for the World Championships in 2022. Voinea will only be age eligible in 2023, but I think Barbosu will be able to handle the pressure and lead the team in 2022.