website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

47 minutes ago, George_D said:

this rule is ridiculous. It can deprive a medal from an athlete that deserves it

To be fair, this is how it's done in swimming, anyway. I prefer 2 per country instead of 3 per country. In my opinion, athletes don't represent themselves; they represent nations. That's why you have one football team, one handball team and so on, instead of two or three teams by the same country. The fact that even 2 per country are allowed, and that a nation has a chance to win gold even if one of their athletes fail, is already a big privilege in my opinion.

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Srbić did it. :woohoo:

Not that impressed by the Japanese but alright. :whistle:

To be fair, the Japanese did a lot more different things than Srbic with the same thing but 25 slightly different variations :p

Which he did perform nicely, so a medal is definitely deserved.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, the Japanese did a lot more different things than Srbic with the same thing but 25 slightly different variations :p

Which he did perform nicely, so a medal is definitely deserved.

Absolutely deserved medals, but I'm not that impressed with any of the medalists. Half of the finalists fell. A kind of bad ending to this edition of the Olympic Games, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

Absolutely deserved medals, but I'm not that impressed with any of the medalists. Half of the finalists fell. A kind of bad ending to this edition of the Olympic Games, unfortunately.

I felt like a lot of these finals were sort of...underwhelming, to be honest. At least I'm glad Biles got an apparatus medal! Didn't think I'd ever say that until last week, but now I really am :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I felt like a lot of these finals were sort of...underwhelming, to be honest. At least I'm glad Biles got an apparatus medal! Didn't think I'd ever say that until last week, but now I really am :cheer: 

About the finals: I totally get you. It's the weirdest edition of the Olympics I've ever witnessed. As a silver lining, at least, after years of the same old countries on the podium on the women's side, we finally had a big diversity of nations with a medal: Brazil, Japan, Great Britain, Italy, Belgium and South Korea, along with Japan, ROC and China, as expected. On the men's side, it actually felt like something was missing. Verniayev was out due to doping, Uchimura had a terrible performance, Nagornyy was mostly disappointing, the Swiss didn't even qualify for the finals, the Ukrainians had the worst possible Olympics in their lives, the Turkish performed badly in the finals -- except for Arican -- and, of course, Dalaloyan was injured and did absolutely everything he could, but still it felt like he's capable of a lot more. 

About Brazil: Rebeca got two medals, one of them gold, and both Zanetti and Nory failed, so I'm not only happy; I'm overjoyed. I'm only sad for Flávia. Of course she didn't deserve a medal here, but she works so hard and I hope she gets at least a medal at the World Championships before retiring. Maybe her foot will heal quickly enough for her to be able to go to the World Championships this year...

22 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

To be fair, this is how it's done in swimming, anyway. I prefer 2 per country instead of 3 per country. In my opinion, athletes don't represent themselves; they represent nations. That's why you have one football team, one handball team and so on, instead of two or three teams by the same country. The fact that even 2 per country are allowed, and that a nation has a chance to win gold even if one of their athletes fail, is already a big privilege in my opinion.

So the same should be in athletics also