website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

So the Balance Beam final will have 3 recently injured gymnasts (Black, Iordache, Saraiva) + Biles. I think China has this in the bag.

I learned never to trust the Chinese girls. If they hit, they will score BIG and win gold. But that's a big if when it comes to China.

My heart wants Saraiva, Black and Iordache on the beam podium, with Biles hitting the routine but not winning a medal (she already got one here, after all). Of course what my heart wants is not what we will get in this universe. Maybe in a different reality. :p

Well, we can see history being made once again today in a number of ways.

1) Canada might win a medal in women's artistic gymnastics for the first time. Canada has a gold medal in every other discipline at the Olympics: men's artistic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics and trampoline.

2) Australia can win a medal in artistic gymnastics for the first time. The nation only has one silver medal in trampoline.

3) Kazakhstan could win its first ever medal in gymnastics. After a fourth place in rhythmic gymnastics in 2004, I've been rooting for Kazakhstan, but now is the first time in 17 years that it's actually possible to win a medal.

4) Turkey could also win its first ever medal in gymnastics. Along with Israel, Armenia and the Philippines, Turkey is part of the most recent wave of nations with great results in artistic gymnastics. In my opinion, Turkish gymnasts are the most talented of the bunch, but the finals have been very disappointing so far. This could change today.

5) If Pakhnyuk fails to win a medal today, chances are that Ukraine will end up not winning a medal in gymnastics for the first time since its independence. I know that rhythmic gymnastics will be contested soon, but Ukraine has slim chances at best  and only with the group. Still, it's merely a 1% chance. In reality, Pakhnyuk is their last realistic chance for a medal this year.