website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Just rewatched the vault on the Eurosport YT channel (I have to say they have one of the best experts and he's been there for almost 15 years IIRC) and how in heck Yeo saved that landing on one leg? And how did she still win a medal with it? What happened to Carey? They didn't show her vaults in highlights, I presume she landed on her backside if she did the 2 1/2 Yurchenko twist?

She downgraded her first vault. Just tragic, if you ask me

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

But why would she do that? I thought people usually go for broke if you have such a lifetime opportunity? Would the original vault tariff won her the medal?

Probably Thiago will explain this more professionally this is copied from Wikipedia:

In the vault final, Carey finished eighth. In the running phase of her first vault, Carey was off on her steps and performed only a tucked Yurchenko, a vault with a difficulty score of 3.3. She went on and successfully performed her second vault, an Amanar with a difficulty of 5.8, but was deducted two point points for performing two vaults with the same entry and for performing two backwards rotating vaults.

The :HUN expert on Eurosport said that a less experienced vaulter might have crashed into or under the vaulting table instead (if I remember correctly)

2 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

Probably Thiago will explain this more professionally this is copied from Wikipedia:

In the vault final, Carey finished eighth. In the running phase of her first vault, Carey was off on her steps and performed only a tucked Yurchenko, a vault with a difficulty score of 3.3. She went on and successfully performed her second vault, an Amanar with a difficulty of 5.8, but was deducted two point points for performing two vaults with the same entry and for performing two backwards rotating vaults.

The :HUN expert on Eurosport said that a less experienced vaulter might have crashed into or under the vaulting table instead (if I remember correctly)

This is where I can never catch up with gymnastics after all these years. I've heard about gymnasts having to perform two vaults from different family/group but isn't Amanar a Yurchenko vault only with an additional half-twist? So it's effectively from the same group? Unless a different entry makes it eligible?

Does any woman still do the front handspring vaults (Produnova) or is it deemed too easy these days? Or too risky? With power gymnastics taking over I assume the Produnova vaults would see women tumble forward and out of the landing zone too often?

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Just rewatched the vault on the Eurosport YT channel (I have to say they have one of the best experts and he's been there for almost 15 years IIRC) and how in heck Yeo saved that landing on one leg? And how did she still win a medal with it? What happened to Carey? They didn't show her vaults in highlights, I presume she landed on her backside if she did the 2 1/2 Yurchenko twist?

Yeo loses 0.5 on the landing of her second vault: 0.3 for a big hop + 0.1 for a small hop + 0.1 for another small hop. Her execution score was 8.733, which is okay. In qualifications she had 9.2 in execution, so if you deduct 0.5 from that, you get 8.7, which is basically what she got here (only 0.033 more this time). Yeo got a medal because her first vault was arguably the best of the whole event and had the biggest single score.

Carey apparently miscounted her steps during her run, then she couldn't perform her roundoff entry the way she wanted and had to abort the vault. She was supposed to perform a Yurchenko Layout with two and a half twists, worth 5.8, but since she aborted the vault she only performed a Yurchenko tuck, worth 3.3, what killed her chances.

3 hours ago, George_D said:

opinions on favorites for tomorrow events?

If you mean rings, it's going to be a tough battle between Petrounias and Liu Yang. Then the battle for bronze will be tough between basically everyone else.

And it was revealed today that Zanetti will perform a new dismount that will raise his difficulty score to 6.5, what could potentially put him into the mix for a medal, although I believe he will not challenge for gold. He'll be happy with a bronze medal, I'm sure. Thanks to his political positions and known episodes of homophobia, I sincerely hope he doesn't win a medal.

Men's vault and women's floor could be literally anyone's game. Seriously, each and every person has the potential to win a medal. It's going to be very exciting to watch, I suppose. :KOR Shin and :TUR Asil have the most difficult vaults, so they should in theory have some sort of advantage compared to the rest of the field. On floor, :USA Carey has the most difficult routine, but she usually is heavily deducted in her artistic performance, so it remains to be seen how judges will evaluate her. She's also supposed to perform the hardest skill on floor created by any woman, so if she hits that and the rest of her routine, even with strong deductions in artistic performance, there's no way she will not get a medal, in my opinion.

37 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

This is where I can never catch up with gymnastics after all these years. I've heard about gymnasts having to perform two vaults from different family/group but isn't Amanar a Yurchenko vault only with an additional half-twist? So it's effectively from the same group? Unless a different entry makes it eligible?

Does any woman still do the front handspring vaults (Produnova) or is it deemed too easy these days? Or too risky? With power gymnastics taking over I assume the Produnova vaults would see women tumble forward and out of the landing zone too often?

1) Yes, you're on the right track. Yurchenko is a kind of entry where a gymnast performs a roundoff to the vault table and approaches the apparatus on his/her back. What she does after that determines the difficulty score, of course. Since Carey had already performed the Yurchenko entry and only decided to perform a tuck somersault out of it, she was not allowed to perform another vault with the same entry, like the Amanar, without getting a hefty deduction. She did so anyway probably because she wanted to show the world that she can perform that vault, but it was already too late, and she knew that she would finish last, anyway. My heart breaks every time I see her disappointed face when I rewatch the video. Poor girl.

2) Once again, handspring is just the entry of the vault, so what the gymnast does after the handspring is what determines the difficulty value. Yeo performs a handspring followed by one somersault in layout position with two twists. Effectively, it's the same entry as a Produnova, so she wouldn't be allowed to perform a Produnova as her second vault, for example. The Produnova disappeared from event finals because the Code of Points was changed. First, it was downgraded to 6.4, which is still more difficult than any of the vaults performed today, but still not worth the risk if the execution is not good. Second, there's a new rule that vaults where gymnasts land on their feet and another part of their bodies at the same time (i.e., hitting their feet and their butt at the same time, which happened to a lot of the vaulters who performed a Produnova in the past) then the vault will be given a score of 0. This scared potential Produnova vaulters away.

@thiago_simoes Thx for the explanation. As for the Produnova I meant the sommersaults would be too risky these days since gymnasts would have a higher tendency to over-rotate the sommersaults than even under-rotate them. I've read opinions Americans are more into twists than sommersaults hence they would never try the Produnova sommersault vaults themselves. Or maybe FIG wants to discourage gymnasts from doing it w/o actually banning it outright?