website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Yeo Seo-jeong went through all the trouble to create a new vault, with the highest difficulty in the final and the biggest single score. I was following the tweets about  the training sessions before this final, and Yeo crashed all her attempts, so the fact that she hit in the final and got a medal is amazing. Another fairy tale story here came true.

Come on, her first vault was fair enough and difficulty helped her, but above 9.000 on execution? Bullshit.

Then she did a horrible second jump, where again, she was unfairly rewarded by the execution judges.

Unlike Andrade and Skinner who had a balance between difficulty and execution, and did no important mistake, the Korean was undeservedly on the podium.

5 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Not that I expected much of their MAG, but :USA is not doing great? That + the absence of Biles in WAG probably means that they won't repeat the overall 1st place of Rio.

USAG messed up in some of their selections or it's just bad luck?

They just look unreliable. Alec Yoder had a once in a lifetime chance for a medal today, and he wasted it on the cheapest mistake seen in the final. It was written all over his face.

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Come on, her first vault was fair enough and difficulty helped her, but above 9.000 on execution? Bullshit.

Then she did a horrible second jump, where again, she was unfairly rewarded by the execution judges.

Unlike Andrade and Skinner who had a balance between difficulty and execution, and did no important mistake, the Korean was undeservedly on the podium.

I understand your frustration, but it all comes down to what the Code of Points considers good execution.

You see, in every skill we have to consider how cleanly it's performed in the air (legs glued together, toes pointed, clear body position in the air, great height and amplitude) and how well it is landed. One small step or small hop deducts -0.1, a medium/big step or hop deducts -0.3.

Yeo had the hardest vault of the competition, worth 6.2, and she needs massive speed and air time to get it fully rotated, which she does. The deductions on landing, apart from steps and hops, also consider deep landings (up to -0.5 in deductions), but her landing was not that deep and probably avoided a bigger deduction. If the gymnast lands with her chest down, the deductions could be -0.1, -0.3 or -0.5. Moreno unfortunately loses -0.3 to -0.5 due to her low chest position. Her form in the air is also not as tidy as Yeo's, and her vaults are not that high. Deductions for the height of the vault can be massive, up to -0.8!

There are lots of things to be balanced. That's why I mentioned that :ESP Zapata has poor execution, despite great landings today, because his body shape and leg positions are usually not good. Even so, he lost little to no tenths on landings and got a medal. :ISR Dolgopyat has much cleaner body shape in the air and even though some of his landings were not great, he still managed to lose as little as 0.1 in landings.

Take :BRA Andrade for example: she only loses 0.2 (0.1 for each hop) on the landing of her second vault. It doesn't look good for us, of course, and one can imagine she will be deducted a lot more, but the Code of Points only allows for a 0.2 deduction (plus small 0.1 deductions for things like deviation from a straight line and so on). When it comes to the more hefty deductions like height and dynamics of the vault, :USA Skinner loses a lot while Andrade loses very little. This is also the same for :KOR Yeo and :MEX Moreno.

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Also happy to see :BEL Derwael win the uneven bars. She was #1 favorite? Those favorites winning gold medals ain't exactly common so far.

#2. Sunisa Lee was #1 with a 6.8 difficulty although she sometimes misses connections. (she did hit the 6.8 routine in team and all-round final)

Just rewatched the vault on the Eurosport YT channel (I have to say they have one of the best experts and he's been there for almost 15 years IIRC) and how in heck Yeo saved that landing on one leg? And how did she still win a medal with it? What happened to Carey? They didn't show her vaults in highlights, I presume she landed on her backside if she did the 2 1/2 Yurchenko twist?

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Take :BRA Andrade for example: she only loses 0.2 (0.1 for each hop) on the landing of her second vault. It doesn't look good for us

Actually I thought the second vault was beautiful, more so than the first. Also, let's remember that McKayla Maroney won a silver medal with this same vault even with a fall. A small hop it's nothing compared to that :p