website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

I've tried my best to look at this competition from a neutral perspective. I have to say I'm surprised with a silver medal for Rebeca. She didn't lose the gold medal; she earned the silver medal. The same can be said about Lee: she won because she hit, not because Rebeca didn't perform her best routine. This is how this sport works and there's a strong mental game going on. Lee was stronger in the mental game and this deserves all the praise in the world. It's not fair to compare Lee to anyone else that came before her. She's the Olympic champion and she deserved it. Period.

Now, Rebeca had an awesome day. Her uneven bars routine was one of the best she has performed in her life and much, much better than the one in qualifications. Her vault and her floor were not the best, but they still received strong scores. That silver medal is a huge accomplishment on itself and given how close the competition was, I'm really surprised Rebeca managed to win it.

I believe Melnikova had a score on floor much higher than she actually deserved. She had several small mistakes that most people can't immediately see, but those who know about how gymnastics is scored can see. Urazova deserved the bronze medal, in my opinion, but it wouldn't have made any difference for Russia overall, so there's not much point in arguing about this. The thing is I've always thought Melnikova is overscored and today it wasn't any different.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the results, of course, and even though this was not a gold medal for Brazil, it was still our first medal. Our national program is miles behind the US and Russian programs, so the fact that we even got a medal at all is mindblowing for me.

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I've tried my best to look at this competition from a neutral perspective. I have to say I'm surprised with a silver medal for Rebeca. She didn't lose the gold medal; she earned the silver medal. The same can be said about Lee: she won because she hit, not because Rebeca didn't perform her best routine. This is how this sport works and there's a strong mental game going on. Lee was stronger in the mental game and this is deserves all the praise in the world. It's not fair to compare Lee to anyone else that came before her. She's the Olympic champion and she deserved it. Period.

Now, Rebeca had an awesome day. Her uneven bars routine was one of the best she has performed in her life and much, much better than the one in qualifications. Her vault and her floor were not the best, but they still received strong scores. That silver medal is a huge accomplishment on itself and given how close the competition was, I'm really surprised Rebeca managed to win it.

I believe Melnikova had a score on floor much higher than she actually deserved. She had several small mistakes that most people can't immediately see, but those who know about how gymnastics is scored can see. Urazova deserved the bronze medal, in my opinion, but it wouldn't have made any difference to Russia overall, so there's not much point in arguing about this.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the results, of course, and even though this was not a gold medal for Brazil, it was still our first medal. Our national program is miles behind the US and Russian programs, so the fact that we even got a medal at all is mindblowing for me.

Congratulations to you!  Question, On US TV, they said a challenge was put in on Andrate's floor score, it was raised, but it did not change the final outcome.  I can't find any indication of that.  Was this mentioned on Brazillian TV?  From what I can see, there was a 0.4 deduction for the OOBs. 

6 hours ago, Triplecast said:

Congratulations to you!  Question, On US TV, they said a challenge was put in on Andrate's floor score, it was raised, but it did not change the final outcome.  I can't find any indication of that.  Was this mentioned on Brazillian TV?  From what I can see, there was a 0.4 deduction for the OOBs. 

Thank you! 

According to the official website, no changes have been made to her floor routine score. The deductions are correct: -0.3 after her first tumbling pass, because she stepped with both feet out of bounds, and -0.1 in her last tumbling pass, because she stepped with only one foot.

EDIT: There was a change in score after her balance beam routine, but not floor. Brazil challenged the difficulty score on beam and it was raised in 0.1, and in the end this was enough to move Rebeca from what would have been a bronze medal position to a silver medal position.

:( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!