website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Maybe he was a bit over scored, but not much. His vault was high, distant from the table and his form is mostly very polished. The most apparent deductions I see are a slight pike off the table (-0.1), not hitting the center line/deviation in flight (-0.1), uncontrolled landing (-0.1) and large step (-0.3). There might be other deductions in dynamics and height that I'm not capable of correctly pointing out, and of course there was a penalty of -0.1 for stepping with one foot out of bounds. 14.7 is an acceptable score for that vault, especially because the same criteria seems to have been applied to everybody else.

Xiao was so excited after his horizontal bar routine that he forgot to salute to the judges and took a penalty of -0.3 in his final score. It's almost unbelievable that an experienced gymnast would forget about this in his final routine at the Olympics. Seriously, China has to reexamine their coaching staff because they're definitely not doing their job very well.

No. We should host World Championships and I promise 0 gold for Japan.

1 hour ago, gubchandrolai said:

Who strikes off .3 for a damn salute. What sort of rule is this!

Yes, I know this is weird, but every single gymnast knows that saluting before and after his/her presentation is mandatory.

52 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

No. We should host World Championships and I promise 0 gold for Japan.

I know it's frustrating to lose a gold medal, but there are lots of deductions in artistic gymnastics related to amplitude, dynamics, angles... I'm not aware of all of these deductions, to be honest, because there are far too many and I'm not even close to be as experienced as a judge. You should know that hosting an event also increases the chances for bigger scores for the host nation. This is a sport judged by humans, and it's almost impossible to completely eliminate personal preferences and even bias. In 2008, the Chinese gymnasts also received some pretty high scores. Just remember, for example, that Cheng Fei got a bronze medal on the balance beam completely out of nowhere and I still can't understand how she was scored that number until today.

@thiago_simoes It is very interesting to read all your comments on gymnastics here. Thanks for sharing all this detailed info.

Before today's women's AA final I wonder what are your thoughts on Rebeca Andrade chances for a medal after she was brilliant 2nd in qualis, only behind Biles. Good luck for her!

And when Biles is out of it - a new star will be born today. Who do you think can win this?

I think Sunisa Lee, though my heart says Melanie de Jesus dos Santos, I will cheer her on, but she's not in her greatest shape here sadly. If not Melanie, I also admire Tang Xijing a lot.

And if Jade Carey will win that as a reserve, that would be a story.

But Andrade has a once-in-a-lifetime chance, too.

This women's all around finals is going to be really exciting. It's going to come down to who actually hits their routines, nobody has such a huge advantage that they can afford to make a mistake. I can't even decide who I want to win (I think I'd like to see every women's event go to a different person).

Let's go Andrade :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!