website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, maestro said:

His group will start from floor exercise, so pommel will be their next apparatus, in rotation 2.

Welcome to Totallympics! :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

:CHN 

Men's Team: Xiao Ruoteng, Zou Jingyuan, Sun Wei, Lin Chaopan

Men's Individual: You Hao(SR and PB), Liu Yang(SR)

Women's Team: Zhang Jin, Tang Xijing, Lu Yufei, Ou Yushan

Women's individual: Fan Yilin(UB), Guan Chenchen(BB)

One infamous Men's AA gymnast Zhang Boheng is not selected which largely angers Chinese gymnastics fans. He has no previous major events experience but ranked 1st once and 2nd twice in total 3 trials. He is young without injures and also stable so he attracted lots of fans in a very short time. But still he is not selected due to lack of international experience. I am also among the fans dissatisfied by the list.

On 03/07/2021 at 07:52, Vic Liu said:

:CHN 

Men's Team: Xiao Ruoteng, Zou Jingyuan, Sun Wei, Lin Chaopan

Men's Individual: You Hao(SR and PB), Liu Yang(SR)

Women's Team: Zhang Jin, Tang Xijing, Lu Yufei, Ou Yushan

Women's individual: Fan Yilin(UB), Guan Chenchen(BB)

One infamous Men's AA gymnast Zhang Boheng is not selected which largely angers Chinese gymnastics fans. He has no previous major events experience but ranked 1st once and 2nd twice in total 3 trials. He is young without injures and also stable so he attracted lots of fans in a very short time. But still he is not selected due to lack of international experience. I am also among the fans dissatisfied by the list.

The women's team is... interesting. Basically, China wanted to make absolutely sure they're going to win gold and silver on the balance beam. So much for "Biles is going to win 5 gold medals" now, unless two Chinese gymnasts have major problems in the event finals. As I suspected, China will be pleased with a team bronze medal, but the strong dependence on the beam routines alone could make things very interesting. I wonder what Fan Yilin will be able to do now, and whether she will be able to win a medal on the uneven bars.

Now, the men's team left me puzzled. What's the point in selecting Lin Chaopan? Maybe he was only selected to complement Sun Wei, but the very fact that Sun Wei was also chosen kind of puzzles me. If it were up to me, I would have selected Zhang Boheng and I would have put Liu Yang in the team, with Weng Hao getting the individual quota. No Sun Wei or Lin Chaopan. I get it that China is trying to justify their presences thanks to previous experience, but it's not like they're actually rock solid and 100% trustworthy, to begin with. I believe You Hao was going to be selected for the team, but since he got the World Cup quota, China had to come up with something completely different from their original plan.

Anyway, I'm very excited about two events now: men's team and rings. If Dalaloyan were 100% healthy, I'd say Russia would take gold easily, but without him in his best form, it's going to be a tough battle between Japan, China and Russia. I don't trust the Japanese team at all, and China might take the gold medal here, even though this is not exactly the absolutely best team China could have assembled. And now that Liu Yang was chosen, Petrounias will not have an easy time trying to win the gold medal. Everybody else will have a very tough fight for the bronze medal.

10 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

How do they expect young gymnasts to gain international experience if they don’t select them?

I think the US has pretty clearly demonstrated that if an athlete does well at a high pressure trial they are ready even if they have no international experience.

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

The women's team is... interesting. Basically, China wanted to male absolutely sure they're going to win gold and silver on the balance beam. So much for "Biles is going to win 5 gold medals" now, unless two Chinese gymnasts have major problems in the event finals. As I suspected, China will be pleased with a team bronze medal, but the strong dependence on the beam routines alone could make things very interesting. I wonder what Fan Yiling will be able to do now, and whether she will be able to win a medal on the uneven bars.

Now, the men's team left me puzzled. What's the point in selecting Lin Chaopan? Maybe he was only selected to complement Sun Wei, but the very fact that Sun Wei was also chosen kind of puzzles me. If it were up to me, I would have selected Zhang Boheng and I would have put Liu Yang in the team, with Weng Hao getting the individual quota. No Sun Wei or Lin Chaopan. I get it that China is trying to justify their presences thanks to previous experience, but it's not like they're actually rock solid and 100% trustworthy, to begin with. I believe You Hao was going to be selected for the team, but since he got the World Cup quota, China had to come up with something completely different from their original plan.

Anyway, I'm very excited about two events now: men's team and rings. If Dalaloyan were 100% healthy, I'd say Russia would take gold easily, but without him in his best form, it's going to be a tough battle between Japan, China and Russia. I don't trust the Japanese team at all, and China might take the gold medal here, even though this is not exactly the absolutely best team China could have assembled. And now that Liu Yang was chosen, Petrounias will not have an easy time trying to win the gold medal. Everybody else will have a very tough fight for the bronze medal.

IF (and thats a big if because she did it in rio) Biles doesn't fall from the beam, the gold is hers

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

How do they expect young gymnasts to gain international experience if they don’t select them?

I think the US has pretty clearly demonstrated that if an athlete does well at a high pressure trial they are ready even if they have no international experience.

Mainly because of the pandemic, otherwise he will attend AA World Cup stages and ACh to gain experience and gain referee’s expression. But they are all canceled. 

7 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

The women's team is... interesting. Basically, China wanted to male absolutely sure they're going to win gold and silver on the balance beam. So much for "Biles is going to win 5 gold medals" now, unless two Chinese gymnasts have major problems in the event finals. As I suspected, China will be pleased with a team bronze medal, but the strong dependence on the beam routines alone could make things very interesting. I wonder what Fan Yiling will be able to do now, and whether she will be able to win a medal on the uneven bars.

For women’s team, China bet on BB to gain a gold medal. These girls all have very high D scores if performed well they could get above 15.3. But you know BB is most unpredictable for women so we send a huge BB favored team. For team events we are satisfied by a bronze medal.

For men’s team, the debate is between Lin Chaopan and Zhang Boheng. Liu Yang don’t have capability of 6 events so we can’t choose him and Zou Jingyuan at the same time who also cannot compete 6 events. 

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

For women’s team, China bet on BB to gain a gold medal. These girls all have very high D scores if performed well they could get above 15.3. But you know BB is most unpredictable for women so we send a huge BB favored team. For team events we are satisfied by a bronze medal.

For men’s team, the debate is between Lin Chaopan and Zhang Boheng. Liu Yang don’t have capability of 6 events so we can’t choose him and Zou Jingyuan at the same time who also cannot compete 6 events. 

Balance beam appears to be China’s best chance in Women’s Gymnastics so that seems to he a smart strategy. I don’t think China has anyone who is strong enough to win uneven bars, and the US (even beyond Biles) is just too good in floor and vault.

:SVK Team Slovakia :SVK

1 (0+1)

WOMEN'S

WAG: Barbora Mokošová

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Other Sports

Archery, Athletics, Badminton, BoxingCanoeing SlalomCanoeing SprintRoad Cycling, Golf, Shooting, SwimmingTable TennisTennis, Wrestling

Slovakia participated in Womens Artistic Gymnastics in every edition of the Olympic Games since the independence. but never managed to advance from the Qualifiers.

Atlanta 1996 (Klaudia Kinská AA 70th), Sydney 2000 (Zuzana Sekerová AA 59th), Athens 2004 (Zuzana Sekerová AA 47th), Beijing 2008 (Ivana Kováčová UB 79th & BB 81st), London 2012 (Mária Homolová AA 57th) and Rio 2016 (Barbora Mokošová AA 45th)

Barbora Mokošová will be after Zuzana Sekerová in 2000/2004 the second Slovak gymnast to compete at two (consecutive) games. After her debut in Rio 5 years ago. The 24 years old uncontested slovak gymnast number one of the last years won her second olympic berth during the 2019 World Championships. Now returning from long injury she is ready to try to rewrite our gymnastic history and fight for that dreamed all-around final.

BM.jpg