website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

12 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

I'm not sure whether Sofie Krehl could also be an option, she also had two good results in the previous races. Sauerbrey/Hennig/Krehl/Carl. They can beat the US and let's see how FIN/RUS/SWE/NOR will perform.

Not really expected a medal in CC, maybe in 4 years if the progression of the German team (esp. Women's) continues. The entire team improved a lot over the last years and there are some promising talents, not only Sauerbrey. Lisa Lohmann and the Hoffmann sisters are hopefuls for the future too. But the medals will always hang very very high in CC, especially over the individual distances.

However, I love this sport and I think that the huge amount of TOP 15 results that Germany already collected here is very good.

I am more skeptical about the future. Hennig had a real medal chance here. Sweden and Norway (Johaug excluded) were/are inexistant and Germany still couldn't win a medal (while even Austria was able to do it), i don't think it will ever get easier to win individual medals. Also there is always some german athlete with great progression, but then that athlete disappears and someone else takes his/her place, so you could say that there is progression at the individual level, but the program as a whole stagnates. On the men's side you had Notz who was supposed to become world-class, then you had Brugger and now you have Moch. They all hit a wall at some point.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

17 minutes ago, Ted said:

Hahahaaa. All top level athletes in any winter or summer sport -whether they be American, British, Russian, German, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Canadian or Martian for that matter- have always been and will forever be clean, honest, fair and beyond suspicion. They just happen to have tons of talent and eat well, sleep well and train well. Only the Norwegians are talentless, ruthless, abominable cheaters, dopers, fraudsters. OK, guys.:yes:d

Noone said that ... but a) unlike others they have been caught before and b) they completely dominate (or at least used to) an endurance sport. If a small nation dominates an endurance sport like Norway in cross-country skiing or the Netherlands in speed skating, then doping is the only logical explanation.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

21 minutes ago, Swewi said:

What nation uses asthma medication to the very limit of what is allowed? I know more nations incl. Sweden has had astmathic skiiers but the way they even give healthy skiiers medication, and that there is research of that astma medication can help building muscles, in combination with that their best star Johaug happens to test positive and have the bad luck on having her first doping test in 7 months just after taking a lip stick does not make me trust all norwegian skiiers. The way johaug also expect everyone to believe her insane story and make everyone talk about a lip stick when it was a burn oinment with an anabolic steroid as the active subtsance makes me hate her even if she would tell the truth. Don't forget that one side affect of the "lip stick" was lip sores. Didn't she say that she used the lip stick against her lip sores?:facepalm:

Whether she was telling the truth or making poor excuses (which none of us has any way of knowing), what matters is that in the end she was punished for the lipstick thing! End of story. She didn't commit murder for God's sake. Personally, I am a bit suspicious of Dutch-Hungarian-turned-Swedish Nils Van der Poel and his meteoric rise out of nowhere, but I have never implied anything about him. The same goes for Ireen Wust's unbelievable performance in the women's 1500 at this age. And I can definitely provide many more similar examples from the sports world. But I think you get my point anyways and I am not here to argue with anyone. I have always rooted for Norway in winter sports and mainly Russia and Italy (though not as fanatically as NOR in WOG) in summer sports (besides my country, Greece, obviously).

7 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Noone said that ... but a) unlike others they have been caught before and b) they completely dominate (or at least used to) an endurance sport. If a small nation dominates an endurance sport like Norway in cross-country skiing or the Netherlands in speed skating, then doping is the only logical explanation.

At least Norwegian women do look like women, unlike a great many former Soviet, American and East German athletes in a wide range of sports.:d