website statistics

Fencing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

38 minutes ago, Vektor said:

There it is, this time Park couldn't pull it off against a Hungarian, another SF and another medal chance for us. Siklósi v Santarelli for the final, just like at the 2019 WCh where Siklósi won easily. 

Really makes me wonder how Hungary is so strong in fencing. Germany used to be great, but now they have been trash for at least a decade. Any insights on how to become world class in fencing?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Really makes me wonder how Hungary is so strong in fencing. Germany used to be great, but now they have been trash for at least a decade. Any insights on how to become world class in fencing?

I don't know, maybe it's just tradition, it feels like we must win at least one gold at every SOG, otherwise we fail to live up to our legends in the sport. It's like water polo. There aren't many nations who view sports like fencing and water polo as their most valued disciplines that they must keep alive no matter what. Fencing can never be as high on the German "Olympic priority list" as on the Hungarian one, Germany obviously has many other sports that they value more. 

Siklósi once again with the clutch in the final period, this is the third match in the row where he just becomes unstoppable during the last minutes. We have our second fencing medal, Siklósi kinda saves the day after multiple missed medal chances.