website statistics

Fencing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

6 hours ago, phelps said:

the draw of the individual events will be held the day before the actual competition for each weapon...

the team events are based on the current world ranking, so you can compile your own draw by looking at that (following the usual scheme, preliminary round: 8th vs 9th ranked among the qualified teams, the quarterfinals: 1st vs winner of prelim. rd., 2nd vs 7th and so on; semis: top half with 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th/9th, bottom half with 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th ranked teams)...

I thought the individual event will follow the same format and they just put names on the bracket based on the ranking :facepalm:

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

I thought the individual event will follow the same format and they just put names on the bracket based on the ranking :facepalm:

no, they have a conditional draw...

each player can be drawn against 2 possible opponents...

for instance, no.1 can face no.15 or 16, not automatically the no.16...the same for no.2, not automatically paired against no.15, but the remaining one between 15 and 16 (and so on for all the remaining pairings)...

12 hours ago, sami-eg said:

Are you sure ? I have read this somewhere

We would also like to inform you that, after consultation with the FIE Rules Commission, and in the 
event of positive Covid cases, we have requested that the draws for the individual events and the 
establishing of the tables for the team events should not be carried out on 22nd July (during the 
meeting with the delegations), but should be carried out the day before each individual and team 
event, at 5.00 pm, in the presence of the delegations. 
As an exception, on July 23, 2021 (day of the Opening Ceremony), the draw will take place at 1:00 
p.m. 

yes, the supposed "draw" of the team events is a formality...they will just put the team names in the brackets following the WR...

the only real draw (even if it's a marginal draw) is the individual events'...

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, they have a conditional draw...

each player can be drawn against 2 possible opponents...

for instance, no.1 can face no.15 or 16, not automatically the no.16...the same for no.2, not automatically paired against no.15, but the remaining one between 15 and 16 (and so on for all the remaining pairings)...

that's a bit weird though. I'm watching fencing for a while. (more than 20 years actually) still there are lots of things I don't know about this sport :d