website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

Kurt Hennrich :CZE (Czechoslovakia) 88 - Alpine Skiing. 7th in the 1956 Cortina Downhill he finished on 1 ski

One of his most famous quotes about the 1956 Italian Olympic downhill won by the legendary Toni Sailer.

"Bylo patnáct pod nulou, pětačtyřicet lidí nedojelo. Já jsem jel z Čechoslováků poslední, dojížděl jsem nějakého Angličana, který startoval přede mnou. Ale nějak mi drhla pravá lyže, tak jsem zbytek závodu dojel na jedné lyži. Až v cíli jsem zjistil, že se mi vytrhla hrana," řekl Hennrich před lety Českému rozhlasu.

It was fifteen below zero, forty-five people didn't finish the race. I was the last of the Czechoslovaks to start, I rememer catching on the track one of the Englishmans who started in front of me. But somehow my right ski rubbed off, so I finished the rest of the race on one ski. Only at the finish did I find out that my edge had come out," Hennrich told to the Czech Radio years ago.

12 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Kurt Hennrich :CZE (Czechoslovakia) 88 - Alpine Skiing. 7th in the 1956 Cortina Downhill he finished on 1 ski

One of his most famous quotes about the 1956 Italian Olympic downhill won by the legendary Toni Sailer.

It was fifteen below zero, forty-five people didn't finish the race. I was the last of the Czechoslovaks to start, I rememer catching on the track one of the Englishmans who started in front of me. But somehow my right ski rubbed off, so I finished the rest of the race on one ski. Only at the finish did I find out that my edge had come out," Hennrich told to the Czech Radio years ago.

Am I right in saying they didn’t even have ski lifts in those days?  You had to climb most of the hill yourself to start.  Ski Jumps only came in with Squaw Valley 1960.  Correct me if I’m wrong.

16 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Am I right in saying they didn’t even have ski lifts in those days?  You had to climb most of the hill yourself to start.  Ski Jumps only came in with Squaw Valley 1960.  Correct me if I’m wrong.

Ski lifts were introduced here and there basically from the 30´s so I am pretty sure Cortina had at least one in 1956.

Seriously I have no idea, but that´s a good question, the jumps were always in downhill but I guess the skiers just didn't risk as much as they do today, so those jumps didn't look so big and dangerous. just some stopping before the jump and a then a small "hop" like this :d

Do know for sure that the first time the Downhill was run in Garmisch 1936 they had to climb.  Or perhaps a car half-way up, or something but definitely some climbing.

The other thing I do know was that the tuck position was only introduced in the early 60s, so they were never going all out before that.

As you can see in the film, they are still racing in powder, so way slower.

Muhammad Asad Malik. Pakistan. Field Hockey. Member of the team that won the gold medal at the 1968 Olympic hockey tournament and the silver medals at the 1964 and 1972 Summer Games. Age 78.

Olympic hockey champion Malik dies in road accident aged 78

Deaths of Olympians in July.

:GHA Alfred Kotey, 52 - Boxing

:AUS Kevin Wickham, 80 - Rowing

:AUT Robert Mack, 61 - Ice Hockey

:URS Volodymyr Troshkin, 72 - Football (1×B)

:GER Willi Holdorf, 80 - Athletics (1×G)

:POL Zdzislaw Myrda, 69 - Basketball

:GER Wolfgard Voss, 94 - Gymnastics 

:AUS Alex Pullin, 32 - Snowboarding

:NOR Finn Christian Jagge, 54 - Alpine Skiing (1×G)

:HUN Olga Tass, 91 - Gymnastics (1×G, 3×S, 2×B)

:NED Lara van Ruijven, 27 - Short Track Speed Skating (1×B)

:EGY Mahmoud Reda, 90 - Gymnastics

:CAN Ed Wild, 85 - Basketball

:GRE Panagiotis Manias, 87 - Basketball

:AUS Ben Acton, 92 - Ice Hockey

:USA Donald Whiston, 93 - Ice Hockey (1×S)

:HUN Lajos Szucs, 76 - Football (1×G, 1×S)

:SWE Ivar Genesjo, 89 - Fencing

:AUS Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya, 20 - Figure Skating

:SLE Baba Ibrahim Suma-Keita, 73 - Athletics

:IRI Ali Mirzaei, 91 - Weightlifting (1×B)

:YUG Bosko Marinko, 81 - Wrestling

:HUN Istvan Sellyei, 70 - Wrestling 

:POL Mikolaj Kubica, 74 - Gymnastics

:CAN Doug Rogers, 79 - Judo (1×S)

:AUS Margaret McIver, 86 - Equestrian

:URS Aleksandr Ivanitsky, 82 - Wrestling (1×G)

:URS Alexander Gusev, 73 - Ice Hockey (1×G)

:BEL Charles Dewachtere, 92 - Athletics

:NED Jurjaan Koolen, 81 - Handball

:KEN Ben Jipcho, 77 - Athletics (1×S)

:USA Janell Smith, 73 - Athletics

:HKG William Hill, 75 - Athletics

:PAK Muhammad Asad Malik, 78 - Hockey (1×G, 2×S)

:LBN Khalil Taha, 88 - Wrestling (1×B)

:URS Aleksandr Aksinin, 65 - Athletics (1×G, 1×B)

:URS Anatoli Fedyukin, 68 - Handball (1×G, 1×S)

:HUN Tamas Pomucz, 63 - Sailing

:CZE Kurt Hennrich, 88 - Alpine Skiing

And one late reported death from June.

:LUX Fred Hammer, 90 - Athletics