website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

Damn, only ten players ever won three gold medals and in two days, two of them died :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, phelps said:

Now there is a tribute program to him on one of the Hungarian sports channels. It is confirmed that he had a serious illness (it is said to be cancer but this is not disclosed officially)

But would make sense, as he was only 48... 

In May 2020 he retired from coaching and other waterpolo related activities ( I think he was also active in the Federation), probably becasue of his illness (back then only "personal reasons" were said) 

TV also shows now that a lot of people are queueing on the Margaret Island (over 100 or several hundred meters long) in front of the National Swimming Complex (Alfred Hajos), site of several international competitions, to light a candle in memory of him (there is a small "shrine" with a big photo of Benedek)

A big loss to Hungarian sport, and water polo in general. RIP.

23 hours ago, dharang said:

Now there is a tribute program to him on one of the Hungarian sports channels. It is confirmed that he had a serious illness (it is said to be cancer but this is not disclosed officially)

But would make sense, as he was only 48... 

In May 2020 he retired from coaching and other waterpolo related activities ( I think he was also active in the Federation), probably becasue of his illness (back then only "personal reasons" were said) 

TV also shows now that a lot of people are queueing on the Margaret Island (over 100 or several hundred meters long) in front of the National Swimming Complex (Alfred Hajos), site of several international competitions, to light a candle in memory of him (there is a small "shrine" with a big photo of Benedek)

A big loss to Hungarian sport, and water polo in general. RIP.

This has already been a bad month for Hungary with three other medallists - one in boxing and two in fencing - passing away apart from their two great water polo players.

Serbian sport shooter Bobana Veličković passed away today at age of 30

She was part of Serbian Olympic Team at London 2012 and Rio 2016, former 8th times European champion and world champion in air pistol

I cant believe it happened. She is younger than me. Life really sucks :cry:

Rest in Peace our angel 

EPHYcIpWkAA-Kf9.jpg

She become mother for the first time only 20 days ago :cry::cry::cry:

48 minutes ago, NikolaB said:

Serbian sport shooter Bobana Veličković passed away today at age of 30

She was part of Serbian Olympic Team at London 2012 and Rio 2016, former 8th times European champion and world champion in air pistol

I cant believe it happened. She is younger than me. Life really sucks :cry:

Rest in Peace our angel 

EPHYcIpWkAA-Kf9.jpg

She become mother for the first time only 20 days ago :cry::cry::cry:

OMG!!! that's a tragedy within the tragedy...:cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope her family can find the way to overcome something like this...

poor angel(s)...

Damn :( 

Died due to complications at childbirth, according to Wikipedia - which is the only English 'source' I've found so far, so it is a question.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!