website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

Quite a saddening statistic from @Dragon here. I fear @Nickyc707 will have a long list this month :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Quite a saddening statistic from @Dragon here. I fear @Nickyc707 will have a long list this month :(

Sadly you're right. I already have 32 deaths to report including those already mentioned in this thread.

On 23/04/2020 at 02:00, Olympian1010 said:

Sorry, but is another fake new. He is not died for virus. 

https://www.filodirettomonreale.it/2020/04/10/papa-non-aveva-il-coronavirus-una-fake-news-che-ci-ha-fatto-molto-male-lui-adesso-e-morto/

In Italy, is full of fake news. All died are for coronavirus!!! Is clearly not true. Situation is very very trouble for democracy.

2 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

https://www.filodirettomonreale.it/2020/04/10/papa-non-aveva-il-coronavirus-una-fake-news-che-ci-ha-fatto-molto-male-lui-adesso-e-morto/

In Italy, is full of fake news. All died are for coronavirus!!! Is clearly not true. Situation is very very trouble for democracy.

I’ll tag @Dragon so you can pass that message on to him too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

But where did it say Hartwig Gauder died of COVID-19? As far as I can see, it only says he died, unless I'm missing something.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But where did it say Hartwig Gauder died of COVID-19? As far as I can see, it only says he died, unless I'm missing something.

Sorry,i mistake link... wait...:) This is the right one

The 14th reported death of an Olympic competitor due to Covid 19
Cita Tweet

FQ39mZQ-_normal.jpg

FArrechea

@FArrechea
·
DEP Francesco Perrone (atleta italiano olímpico en Roma 1960, maratón). Otra víctima del Covid-19 brindisioggi.it/muore-lex-ispe

17 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Sadly you're right. I already have 32 deaths to report including those already mentioned in this thread.

1 minute ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

Sorry,i mistake link... wait...:) This is the right one

Deaths of Olympians in April.

:ESP Goyo Benito, 73 - Football

:JPN Keizo Yamada, 92 - Athletics

:NZL Eric Verdonk, 60 - Rowing (1×B)

:SGP Thio Gim Hock, 82 - Water Polo

:BAR Kenneth Farnum, 89 - Cycling

:SWE Borje Stattin, 90 - Gymnastics

:HUN Ferenc Fuzesi, 59 - Handball

:JAM Adlin Mair-Clarke, 78 - Athletics

:ITA Donato Sabia, 56 - Athletics

:IRI Fariborz Esmaeli, 79 - Football

:SUI Roger Chappot, 79 - Ice Hockey

:SWE Lars-Eric Lundvall, 76 - Ice Hockey (1×S)

:BEL Guy Miserque, 74 - Hockey

:SWE Marianne Lundquist, 88 - Swimming

:GER Alfred Hagn, 72 - Alpine Skiing

:ESP Francisco Aritmendi, 81 - Athletics

:PHI Alfonso Marquez, 82 - Basketball

:GBR Peter Whiteside, 67 - Modern Pentathlon

:USA Nate Brooks, 86 - Boxing (1×G)

:FIN Vesa Tornroos, 37 - Shooting

:MEX Eric Mergenthaler, 56 - Sailing

:YUG Bojana Milosevic, 54 - Basketball (1×S)

:GER Victor Hendrix, 84 - Rowing

:USA Walter Hoover, 85 - Rowing

:INA Lukman Niode, 56 - Swimming

:BEL Francois Lafortune, 87 - Shooting

:FRA Margit Otto-Crepin, 75 - Equestrian (1×S)

:GBR Kevin Gill, 58 - Shooting

:TUN Noureddine Diwa, 83 - Football

:GDR Hartwig Gauder, 65 - Athletics (1×G, 1×B)

:CAN Edward Winchester, 49 - Rowing

:URS Zarbeg Beriashvili, 80 - Wrestling

:IRI Abolfazi Salabi, 96 - Basketball

:ITA Francesco Perrone, 89 - Athletics

:URS:IOC Maryna Bazhanova, 57 - Handball (2×B)

:ITA Luigi De Rossa, 84 - Athletics

:URS Janis Lusis, 80 - Athletics (1×G, 1×S, 1×B)

:BRA Gerson Victalino, 60 - Basketball

:IRL Billy Ringrose, 89 - Equestrian

:IND Chuni Goswani, 82 - Football

:CAN Doug Anakin, 89 - Bobsleigh (1×G)

:USA Robert Beck, 83 - Modern Pentathlon (2×B)

And four late reported deaths from March.

:FRA Alain Macle, 75 - Ski Jumping

:URS Mykhaylo Storozhenko, 82 - Athletics

:USA Bruce MacDonald, 92 - Athletics

:AUS Jim Bailey, 90 - Athletics

As @Olympian1010 surmised there has been a significant rise in the number of deaths this month with forty two reported to date.

They include three former Olympic champions. Eric Gauder of the former East Germany won a gold medal in the 50 km walk at the 1980 Games in Moscow. As at all the Games between 1976-84 the athletics programme was diminished by significant political boycotts but Gauder demonstrated his class at the highest level by winning the gold medal at the 1987 World Championships and followed this up with a further bronze medal at the 1988 Olympics.

Janis Lusis was a Latvian who represented the former Soviet Union at four games between 1964-76. A javelin thrower he won the Olympic title in Mexico city in 1968 and followed this up with a silver in 1972. He had earlier won the bronze in Tokyo in 1964. Finally, Nate Brooks of the USA won the gold medal in the flyweight boxing class in 1952.

The Belgian shooter Francois Lafortune never won an Olympic medal but with appearances at seven Games between 1952-76 he is his country's record holder. Only fourteen athletes have competed at more Games. However, he was not the only Olympian in his family as his father competed at five Games between 1924-60 and his uncle at four between 1936-60. They too were shooters and all three competed together at the 1960 Games in Rome. In addition, another uncle won a silver medal for gymnastics on home soil at the 1920 Games in Antwerp. Altogether the four men competed at seventeen Olympic Games between them which is a record for any family from any country.

Lastly it was particularly sad to note the death of 37 year old Vesa Tornroos of Finland from cancer. He is the third athlete to compete at the last summer Olympics to have died in the past three months.

UPDATED to include the death of Doug Anakin who was a member of Canada's gold medal winning four man bob team at Innsbruck in 1964.

UPDATED to include the death of Robert Beck of the USA who won bronze medals in both the individual and team modern pentathlon events in 1960.

Do you have a list of 2016 Olympians who have died?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!