website statistics

Fencing FIE World Cup 2020 - 2021

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, Cobi said:

They had a 3rd place in the zonal champs. Is that result better (40 points) than a 13th place in the World Champs (42 points)?

We are talking about Women's épéé where Egypt won the zonal champs. 

• In the event of equal points, the ranking is based on who has gained the most first places, then second places, etc.

It doesn't say that one event is more important than the other. So I think Egypt is ahead in case of a tie both in Men's and Women's épéé. 

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

We are talking about Women's épéé where Egypt won the zonal champs. 

• In the event of equal points, the ranking is based on who has gained the most first places, then second places, etc.

It doesn't say that one event is more important than the other. So I think Egypt is ahead in case of a tie both in Men's and Women's épéé. 

So, in the case of individual events, is more important a gold medal in a Satellite than a silver medal in a Grand Prix?

8 minutes ago, Cobi said:

They had a 3rd place in the zonal champs. Is that result better (40 points) than a 13th place in the World Champs (42 points)?

Egyptian women (who will be tied with Japan if they win) have a 1st place.

In any case yes, a 3rd place is better than a 13th

1 minute ago, Cobi said:

So, in the case of individual events, is more important a gold medal in a Satellite than a silver medal in a Grand Prix?

I think? @phelps, do you know something about this? The FIE site only says that the best results decide in case of a tie. 

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

I think? @phelps, do you know something about this? The FIE site only says that the best results decide in case of a tie. 

I was just asking because next week we could have that situation in the women's foil with Spain, Poland and Israel, and I am not sure if the category of the event is important or it doesn't matter.

8 minutes ago, Vektor said:

The rule talks of "placing", so I think we should look at the actual position in the rankings and not at the number points scored (which may be different only because of a different coefficient for the single competitions)...

But I'm not sure at 100%...only FIE could solve the doubt if they wrote the tie-breaking criteria with more detailes...:mumble::facepalm:

However, in today's case it's quite clear that Egypt have the edge in their tie-breakers...

Still, among the women they have to beat Japan and among the men they have to end up at least in 13th place...otherwise, all our posts are useless...

It looks that the Egyptian dream among the women is almost over...

Japan have a comfortable 28-19 lead right now...

and in the men's division things are going to get complicated as well...USA have a 43-37 lead over EGY right now, so the Africans only have the 13th place as an option...they'd need 2 wins against DEN first and the loser of the HUN vs ISR matchup then...very, very difficult to achieve, I fear...