website statistics

Wrestling 2018 Discussion Thread

Federer91

The officiating was really terrible. specially the center referee who hated Chamizo for whatever reason. how the hell he gave 2pts to Burroughs for that last second action ?! even a kid who read wrestling rules knows that for a takedown 5 parts of your opponent should touch the mat. Chamizo was on his four.

even though I also have my doubts about Burroughs's TD in middle of 2nd period and also Chamizo's 4pts throw near the end of the match. both wrestlers lost their challenges early in the match and nobody could challenge those crazy actions near the end. that was a very interesting match between two great wrestlers.

• 1 month later...

this weekend the Polish Open (part of the UWW Ranking Series) will be on stage...

and it looks that Italy have gone shopping once again...in the Greco-Roman -97kg class, in fact, we're going to start a guy named Nikoloz Kakhelashvili, which is not a typical Italian name (and it's the 1st time I read about him)...:mumble:

probably his status is the same of Conyedo and Kudiiamagomedov (not yet eligible for our team at the Olympic qualifications/Olympic Games), but still...

p.s. I just noticed that he was Junior World Champion in 2015! :yikes::hyper:

so, he could be a very nice addition to our team, if we really get him into our squad...

Edited by phelps

5 hours ago, phelps said:

this weekend the Polish Open (part of the UWW Ranking Series) will be on stage...

and it looks that Italy have gone shopping once again...in the Greco-Roman -97kg class, in fact, we're going to start a guy named Nikoloz Kakhelashvili, which is not a typical Italian name (and it's the 1st time I read about him)...:mumble:

probably his status is the same of Conyedo and Kudiiamagomedov (not yet eligible for our team at the Olympic qualifications/Olympic Games), but still...

p.s. I just noticed that he was Junior World Champion in 2015! :yikes::hyper:

so, he could be a very nice addition to our team, if we really get him into our squad...

Wrestling is becoming like athletics or table tennis. Almost every western country has at least someone from Russia (Ossetia,Dagestan),Georgia,Armenia. In a few years European chamionships will resemble Ex USSR championships.

Italy had solid wrestlers,even olympic champions. Does it really need that "shopping"...

3 minuti fa, ChandlerMne ha scritto:

Italy had solid wrestlers,even olympic champions. Does it really need that "shopping"...

Italy haD solid federations and a working model that fit with relatively low level sport (in general, not only referred to wrestling). Now that sport (every sport) has become more and more professional and with very high level, our federations are almost locked to early 80s. 

22 minuti fa, ChandlerMne ha scritto:

Wrestling is becoming like athletics or table tennis. Almost every western country has at least someone from Russia (Ossetia,Dagestan),Georgia,Armenia. In a few years European chamionships will resemble Ex USSR championships.

at the moment we have a questionable federation and basically no more kids practicing wrestling...

so, not that this makes me happy at all, but I guess this is one of the few circumstances in which we have to go shopping or just close down this sport at the highest level...:cry::facepalm:

because I think that also our decent juniors who won a few medals at the recent youth European Champs won't become anything close to world class athletes...

2 hours ago, AlFHg said:

Italy haD solid federations and a working model that fit with relatively low level sport (in general, not only referred to wrestling). Now that sport (every sport) has become more and more professional and with very high level, our federations are almost locked to early 80s. 

Well,this is unpleasent news for me. I could have guessed that every sport except football in Italy is lacking in funds and all but this...harsh reality that great sporting nation like Italy has many problems with basic sports like wrestling. 

2 hours ago, phelps said:

at the moment we have a questionable federation and basically no more kids practicing wrestling...

so, not that this makes me happy at all, but I guess this is one of the few circumstances in which we have to go shopping or just close down this sport at the highest level...:cry::facepalm:

because I think that also our decent juniors who won a few medals at the recent youth European Champs won't become anything close to world class athletes...

Indeed,better to have  this shopping than nothing. Another question,do you know what happens with foreign born athletes when they stop competing? Do they stay in Italy? 

1 ora fa, ChandlerMne ha scritto:

Indeed,better to have  this shopping than nothing. Another question,do you know what happens with foreign born athletes when they stop competing? Do they stay in Italy? 

yes, normally we give Italian passport to athletes who have a true "love" marriage with an Italian partner, so the vast majority of times they settle here forever (Fiona May and Josefa Idem, for instance, still live here -even if they are not married anymore to the man who led them here, which is May's case)...

meanwhile the North and South Americans with Italian heritage generally only stay here for their sporting career (and if we talk of individual sports, often they even stay home during the sport career, too...they just represent Italy at the global events)...

of course there are exceptions, but not too many...

2 ore fa, ChandlerMne ha scritto:

In the case of Josefa Idem, she was even nominated as sport Minister in 2013. However, typically SouthAmericans, as @phelpssaid, come back home after their sporting career. Other, especially Africans and Asians, stay here, and some of them are actually Italian (meaning that they were born here or came here when they were childs).

Going back to the other discussion, the problem is not (only) the lack of fundings, but the way in which sport is considered in Italy in general: it is though to be impossible to live of sport, unless you are a football player, a pro tennis or a rare exception in basketball/volleyball/swimming. Almost every athlete in Italy, to compete at best levels, must join sporting group of military forces, that allow you to have a salary whilst remaining an athlete. Rarely it is possible to study and make sport (as it is typical in the USA, for example), because almost no University in Italy has mid/high sporting facilities, neither our NOC gives out fellowships for paying higher education studies.