website statistics

Track Cycling at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Screenshot_20210808-071827_Instagram.jpg

Did I miss the news of an exploding salt mine?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, intoronto said:

Countries shying away from hosting the Olympics/other multi sporting events need to look at Canada. Hosted the 2015 Pan American Games, which built the only velodrome in Canada + a new pool in Toronto (there were only two, older pool in all of the region). And it has turned around and provided Canada with 1/3 of its medals here. Without the facilities, I doubt Canada would have this level of success.  This is also a successful legacy, something that is always omitted when discussing these mega events. 

The issue is the IOC requirements (or expectations since they are technically relaxed now). Once the IOC becomes more open to 2000-5000 person stadiums (especially ones which will be new/temporary) rather than 5000-10000 capacities for most events, a lot of the costs will drop (more so than making each event have less than 20 athletes), the venues will be usable post-games and nations will be more open to hosting.

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The issue is the IOC requirements (or expectations since they are technically relaxed now). Once the IOC becomes more open to 2000-5000 person stadiums (especially ones which will be new/temporary) rather than 5000-10000 capacities for most events, a lot of the costs will drop (more so than making each event have less than 20 athletes), the venues will be usable post-games and nations will be more open to hosting.

I think we saw that with the games here. They were very open to changes. The velodrome for ex. Had 3200 seats vs 5000+ in others....which leaves me to understand if Toornto to bid, then the Milton velodrome would be acceptable.