website statistics

Taekwondo 2018 Discussion Thread

thepharoah

2018 WT Grand Slam Champions Series (Wuxi, CHN)

Final Medal Table

:GBR GBR,  2 / 2 / 0
:CHN CHN,  2 / 1 / 2
:KOR KOR,  1 / 3 / 2
:IRI IRI,  1 / 0 / 1
:RUS RUS,  1 / 0 / 0
:THA THA,  1 / 0 / 0
:TUR TUR,  0 / 1 / 0
:USA USA,  0 / 1 / 0
:AZE AZE,  0 / 0 / 1
:CIV CIV,  0 / 0 / 1
:POL POL,  0 / 0 / 1

5 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

Hadipour beat Kim TH for bronze :thumbup: he was lucky the format is different in medal round. this is best of 5 instead of best of 3 for men. Kim won first 2 rounds narrowly 3-2 and 6-3 but Hadipour came back strongly to win next 3 rounds. with some great advises from his coach. both were deadly tired in last 2 rounds . Hadipour was smart listening to his coach changing his style entirely. funny that since Grand Slam is not a part of NT program. both Hadipour and Mardani are here on their own with their own coach. (and not the national coach Askari) turned out to be a good thing for them :d

I'm heading out and will miss Mardani's final . as much as I don't like him still I hope he  wins a gold somewhere finally :d

I watched few matches in past few days. I think this format is not a total disaster as it was in wrestling. still I prefer the current format.

Finally, Mardani won the Gold medal...and I'm sure you're gonna like how he won...;)

be careful...take care of your heartrate...:lol:

4 hours ago, phelps said:

Finally, Mardani won the Gold medal...and I'm sure you're gonna like how he won...;)

be careful...take care of your heartrate...:lol:

haha yeah I just watched it :d well it was hard to believe he is going to win the match. I mean I already knew the score from the news but still ! but this is the reason I don't like his style. he always makes his matches like this.  doing nothing until the last seconds. even Mahama Cho (who was helping the commentator) mentioned that about his style. I think this format suits Mardani more than other Iranians because of this. but Mardani always sucks when it matters, Olympics and Asian Games.

even though it was nice winning the gold but I think this tournament has no points for the ranking, right ? but according to the qualification rules. the winner of WT Grand Slam Series Ranking will qualify for the Olympics ?! I wonder how they will calculate a ranking ?! or is it just 2019 WT  Grand Slam Champion ? or they consider results from previous Grand Slams as well :mumble:

1 ora fa, MHSN ha scritto:

haha yeah I just watched it :d well it was hard to believe he is going to win the match. I mean I already knew the score from the news but still ! but this is the reason I don't like his style. he always makes his matches like this.  doing nothing until the last seconds. even Mahama Cho (who was helping the commentator) mentioned that about his style. I think this format suits Mardani more than other Iranians because of this. but Mardani always sucks when it matters, Olympics and Asian Games.

even though it was nice winning the gold but I think this tournament has no points for the ranking, right ? but according to the qualification rules. the winner of WT Grand Slam Series Ranking will qualify for the Olympics ?! I wonder how they will calculate a ranking ?! or is it just 2019 WT  Grand Slam Champion ? or they consider results from previous Grand Slams as well :mumble:

I should check it out, but I'm too lazy...:rofl::facepalm:

as far as I remember, this tournament is awarding a lot of ranking points (1800 to the winner, compared to the 2000 for the world champion in each class), meanwhile the next edition will award also a direct spot to the winner (and those winners will prevail over the other rankings awarding direct Olympic spots)...

but I'm not sure at 100%...I'll give a look to the rules as soon as I can (=I win the fight against my laziness)...

37 minutes ago, phelps said:

I should check it out, but I'm too lazy...:rofl::facepalm:

as far as I remember, this tournament is awarding a lot of ranking points (1800 to the winner, compared to the 2000 for the world champion in each class), meanwhile the next edition will award also a direct spot to the winner (and those winners will prevail over the other rankings awarding direct Olympic spots)...

but I'm not sure at 100%...I'll give a look to the rules as soon as I can (=I win the fight against my laziness)...

no it wasn't a ranking points event. they gave it N/A instead of G1 or whatever else. this is funny because the qualification event for this was a G2 !

http://www.worldtaekwondo.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/World-Taekwondo-Event-Calendar-2018-2020_180731.pdf

rules say

A total of 8 athletes (4 male and 4 female) will be qualified for the Olympic Games through the WT Grand Slam Champions Series.

The highest ranked athlete in each weight category on merit points standing of WT Grand Slam  Champions  Series  after  the  Grand  Slam  Champions  Series  of January  2020  will qualify one (1) quota place each for their NOC for the Olympic Games.

In case of a tie in the number of merit point standing points among qualifiers,  the athlete who competed  more number of World Taekwondo Grand Slam Champions Series including qualification tournament will receive quota place. 

it doesn't sound like just winning one tournament. it talks about points and standing ! I think when they made this they were thinking about a series of Grand slams not just one in a year. but I can't see any Grand Slam ranking in their website. this is just so unclear

Here some info on the Grand Slam Merit points standings 

http://www.worldtaekwondo.org/world-taekwondo-grand-slam-series-offers-road-to-olympic-games-2/

and the standings as of last April

http://www.worldtaekwondo.org/wt-grand-slam-merit-point-standing/

It looks like in the end they will count the 3 Grand Slams, one per year, plus their qualification tournaments.

13 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Here some info on the Grand Slam Merit points standings 

http://www.worldtaekwondo.org/world-taekwondo-grand-slam-series-offers-road-to-olympic-games-2/

and the standings as of last April

http://www.worldtaekwondo.org/wt-grand-slam-merit-point-standing/

It looks like in the end they will count the 3 Grand Slams, one per year, plus their qualification tournaments.

thanks, it helped a lot. another question. if an athlete finishes first in WT Grand Slam series and also finishes in top 5 of the World Ranking. who will get the quota ? the next athlete from the ranking ? or the 2nd athlete in Grand Slam ranking ? I'm asking this because most of Grand Slam winners will finish in top 5.

Oops. I found my answer in the link you already gave us. that will go to the 6th athlete in the World Ranking.

Edited by MHSN

I calculate the ranking. it's different than what you see in WT website because I already deduced some points (tournaments will lose 25% of their value each year) so the final ranking will be 100% of 2019 event + 75% of 2018 pts + 50% of 2017

58kg:

Jang (KOR) 1110

Kim (KOR) 662

Artamonov (RUS) 293

Hadipour (IRI) 270

Chen (CHN) 241

Wu (CHN) 187

I think it's almost a sure thing that one of those Koreans will finish first. they will also qualify through ranking . that will go to the Olympic ranking

68kg:

Zhao (CHN) 1050

Lee (KOR) 770

Sindon (GBR) 450

Recber (TUR) 203

Denisenko (RUS) 180

Perez (ESP) 162

I think one of those top 3 will grab that spot. Lee won't need that to qualify. also very possible for both Sindon and Zhao to qualify via ranking. Zhao's chance looks better but if Lee DH takes it serious I think he will win the last Grand Slam and the quota. which means most probably that spot also goes to the Olympic ranking

80kg:

Khramtsov (RUS) 1250

Hwan (KOR) 810

Beigi (AZE) 450

Chen (CHN) 305

Khramtsov and Beigi are good in ranking. but the situation is no good for Korea in this weight. I'm sure they will count on this guy Hwan to qualify from here. he has to win the next Grand Slam and hope for Khramtsov not making to the final. Beigi's chance is very slim too. I think most probably Khramtsov will finish 1st here and also qualifies through ranking. again the spot will go to the ranking.

+80kg:

In (KOR) 950

Mardani (IRI) 930

Kuznetsov (RUS) 300

Song (CHN) 270

Sun (CHN) 266

huge gap between Mardani / In KD and the rest. even though it's still possible for someone out of this list to come winning the last Grand Slam  and grab 1000pts and the quota . that can happen if both Mardani and In Kyodon fails to qualify for the top 4. but it's more realistic to think it will be either Mardani or In. the Korean guy is already safe in the ranking. while Mardani has to be careful. he most probably only has to finish higher than In Kyo-don next year to qualify for the Olympics !

I'm a bit lazy to calculate all for the women's weight classes. but taking a quick look in summary I think it's very possible that nobody qualifies from this competition after all ! :d