website statistics

Taekwondo 2018 Discussion Thread

thepharoah

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

personally, I really hate it...I find it unfair...you can score the grand total of 2 points in the whole match and your opponent can score 20 points and you still have a chance to win it...it sucks big time! :facepalm::wall:

Means the opponent was not exactly smart with their energy distribution :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Means the opponent was not exactly smart with their energy distribution :p 

not necessarily...if you win a very close 1st round, then you can give up the second and take more than a short breathe, so to have quite an advantage in the 3rd and decisive stint...

and this would eventually lead to many matches decided by the 1st round score and the consequential opportunistic tactics...

to me, that's unfair and moreover it makes watching the sport less enjoyable...:facepalm:

Wrestling (with all the difference of the case) should have given quite a lesson about that, but it looks that nobody went to school at the time...:whistle:

2018 WT Grand Slam Champions Series (Wuxi, CHN)

Day #4 (Semifinals) Results

women's -49kg
:THA Panipak Wongpattanakit b. :KOR Kang Bo Ra
:KOR Ha Min-Ah b. :CHN Tan Xueqin

women's -57kg
:GBR Jade Jones b. :CRO Marija Stetic
:CHN Zhou Lijun b. :KOR Lee Ah-Reum

women's -67kg
:GBR Lauren Williams b. :CIV Ruth Gbagbi
:TUR Nur Tatar Askari b. :CHN Guo Yunfei

women's +67kg
:GBR Bianca Walkden b. :POL Aleksandra Kowalczuk
:USA Madelynn Gorman-Shore b. :GBR Rebecca McGowan

men's -58kg
:CHN Liu Yushuai b. :KOR Kim Tae-Hun
:KOR Jang Jun b. :IRI Armin Hadipour

men's -68kg
:GBR Bradly Sinden b. :KOR Lee Dae-Hoon (1st loss of the entire season for him...and it came with a spectacular kick to the head at the last second of round #2 by Sinden...top hit of the year, for sure)
:CHN Zhao Shuai b. :ESP Javier Perez Polo

men's -80kg
:RUS Maksim Khramtcov b. :CHN Chen Linglong
:KOR Hwan Nam Goong b. :AZE Milad Beigi

men's +80kg
:KOR In Kyo-Don b. :CHN Sun Hongyi
:IRI Sajjad Mardani b. :CHN Song Zhaoxiang

Edited by phelps

wow so many surprising results. Kim Tae-hun and Lee Dae-hoon losing in the same day :yikes: (not to even great opponents) Lee DH losing to Sindon is indeed the biggest surprise of the year. also Milad Beigi lost to a guy from Korea. Beigi used to destroy everybody a year ago but he is just another good athlete these days.

we had a small team here. only 2. Hadipour will fight for bronze (unfortunately for him that will be against Kim TH) but Mardani !! will be in gold medal match. :yikes:  this guy Mardani is in national team program for few years. and I never liked him. I hate his conservative style and I can't understand how he get some good results sometimes.

3 hours ago, phelps said:

there's a chance Kim Tae-Hun won't show up tomorrow in the Bronze Medal match (in Fujarah he gave up once he wasn't in the big final, as it looks he's not 100% healthy)...

I see, Hadipour beat him once in Manchester GP final but he lost more to this guy (including 2017 World Champs final). so he will be underdog if Kim TH shows up. Kim lost here and there to Iranians before but the guy who never lost to our athletes is Lee Dae-hoon :d he won every single match he had vs the Iranians. I remember Yaghoubi, Asbaghi, Hosseini, Bakhshi and Naderian losing to him. (probably there are more names in the list) they are all very good fighters, almost all of them World medalists, but none of them could find a solution for this guy :d he is a nice guy and also he is VERY popular in East Asia ! they consider him very handsome. :d

but with WT increasing the number of competitions, there are more chances top athletes participating when they are not 100% and pick up some defeats. maybe losing sometimes is not that big surprise. but the money prize for this event is bigger than other competitions, that's quite a motivation

Hadipour beat Kim TH for bronze :thumbup: he was lucky the format is different in medal round. this is best of 5 instead of best of 3 for men. Kim won first 2 rounds narrowly 3-2 and 6-3 but Hadipour came back strongly to win next 3 rounds. with some great advises from his coach. both were deadly tired in last 2 rounds . Hadipour was smart listening to his coach changing his style entirely. funny that since Grand Slam is not a part of NT program. both Hadipour and Mardani are here on their own with their own coach. (and not the national coach Askari) turned out to be a good thing for them :d

I'm heading out and will miss Mardani's final . as much as I don't like him still I hope he  wins a gold somewhere finally :d

I watched few matches in past few days. I think this format is not a total disaster as it was in wrestling. still I prefer the current format.

Edited by MHSN

2018 WT Grand Slam Champions Series (Wuxi, CHN)

Day #5 (Finals) Results

women's -49kg
Gold: :THA Panipak Wongpattanakit
Silver: :KOR Ha Min-Ah
Bronze: :CHN Tan Xueqin

women's -57kg
Gold: :CHN Zhou Lijun
Silver: :GBR Jade Jones
Bronze: :KOR Lee Ah-Reum

women's -67kg
Gold: :GBR Lauren Williams
Silver: :TUR Nur Tatar Askari