website statistics

Swimming 2018 Discussion Thread

George_D

1 hour ago, dcro said:

But nobody writes 'Andy' Roddick etc. :p

It might be because subconsciously I'm very much not a fan of Franklin basically ever since she started appearing at major events :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Talk about a fast burner. She has been a complete wash-out the last few years and I get the feeling Katie Ledecky isn't getting half the hype Franklin got back in the day. USA will still get a gazillion of world class swimmers but Franklin has been reduced to a glorified footnote in swimming history IMO.

Guys I have a question from swimming experts. I was checking some Swimming Results from the Asian Games and I found out they consider first 50m of 100m Breaststroke event as the Games record for 50m. I knew they consider the first swimmer in relay events for records but didn't know about this. my question is, is this something new in the rules ? or it was always like that ?

10 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

Guys I have a question from swimming experts. I was checking some Swimming Results from the Asian Games and I found out they consider first 50m of 100m Breaststroke event as the Games record for 50m. I knew they consider the first swimmer in relay events for records but didn't know about this. my question is, is this something new in the rules ? or it was always like that ?

I don't know if in the past it was not allowed, but surely it's quite a long time (I mean, it's many years) that you can use a longer distance to try and get an official clocking over a shorter race.

The only rule as far as I know is that you must complete the full "original" distance to have your time over the shorter one to be recognized (it also happened at the Glasgow Europeans last Summer...Pernille Blume did try to get a fast time over the 50m free during the semifinals of the 100m and then did slow down badly in the second half of the same heat and finished outside the qualifying places -and she could even get a medal in those 100m free :facepalm:)...

p.s. and when you try this kind of things you should alert the other swimmers of the same heat before, otherwise it's considered an act of disrespect...

Edited by phelps