website statistics

BMX Cycling at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

32 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

These sound pretty clear and straightforward though, don't they?

Yeah, but it was for qualification before Olympics move to 2021

32 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm assuming the displinary, doping and ethical things aren't an issue for either and hopefully the same goes for the last one. Then it's about the first and second one, which seems like a pretty clear points system, or does Anderson end up on top, numerically speaking?

I don't know, they haven't released that for the public... This year, Anderson was better in all events.

I just think that this way of choose the athletes does not make any sense... imo, Renato has already had his chance to compete at Olympics, and, now, it was Anderson moment.

It's the same problem with the Volleyball federation, which picked the Beach players way too early (October 2019) and now most of them aren't in a good moment - for instance, Bruno Schmidt is having a hard time after being in the ICU because of COVID and rumours say that his partner seeked another player to replace him, causing further problems for the team.

From what I understand in the BMX situation is that the federation mainly took into account old results that counted for the Olympic ranking, choosing Renato instead of Anderson, who was clearly the better choice at this moment - currently has the best results among the two (14th in WR vs 25th of Renato), and also was a Worlds bronze medalist and Pan Am Games silver medalist, if past results are that important.

But of course this discussion will feel really worthless when Renato wins a medal after dysmal results at the last two Olympics :pope:

:USA TEAM USA :USA

MEN’S Racing

Connor Fields

Corben Sharrah 

WOMEN’S Racing

Payton Ridenour

Felicia Stancil

Alise Willoughby

MEN’S Freestyle 

Nick Bruce

Justin Dowell

WOMEN’S Freestyle

Perris Benegas 

Hannah Roberts

Just noticed there is not even a seeding run, I assume because of the reduced quotas :( 

So yeah, luck of the draw is gonna play a big role.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Just noticed there is not even a seeding run, I assume because of the reduced quotas :( 

So yeah, luck of the draw is gonna play a big role.

I just came to answer.... I believe that we will have an update about it in a few days :lol:

But, I was wondering the same... Won't there be seeding run this time?

30 minutes ago, Laraja said:

I just came to answer.... I believe that we will have an update about it in a few days :lol:

But, I was wondering the same... Won't there be seeding run this time?

There won't be. The UCI rankings will be used to seed the runs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2021 at 12:32, Laraja said:

Folks, Does anyone know why :GER has two athletes listed for BMX Freestyle women's event?

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/cycling-bmx-freestyle/entries-by-event-women-s-park.htm

Lessmann is injured, but Germany really wants her to compete, but if she can't then Gruhn will compete. I guess both were entered...