website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

40 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Eh, let's be real here.  The Olympics are more dangerous than most events simply because of their size and scale.  They can be held safely if the proper protocols are in place.  But that's a big "if" and we can't count on all of the athletes being vaccinated.  There is cause for concern.  Time will tell if it is warranted or not

Well, from my point if view, Olympics aren't more dangerous (with athletes vaccinated, of course) that, for example, EuroCup with 20,000 fans at the stadium from different countries across Europe, and lot of them without quarentine nor vaccine, but I can understand that you are explaining.

I hope that Olympics will go ahead and we will able to celebrate that this happen with safety.

P.S: I'm sorry if I can't explain well my point of view and for my grammar mistakes, it's difficult for me to argue in a different language.

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

The strange is that baseball is still going on in Japan with crowds of over 10,000 at many matches.

The problem now seems to be about protecting the athletes from the Japanese public not the other way round

The issue isn't so much about the spread of COVID, even though a lot of people think that will be a big issue.  Taking care of 10,000 athletes plus all the necessarily support staff and media and everyone else descending upon Tokyo in July requires a lot of people to make the operation run.  Including medical personnel that their healthcare system might not so easily be able to spare.  We've seen plenty of sports leagues and tournaments operate through the pandemic without using up resources that the general public needs.  That might not be the case here, so that's where they are going to struggle with holding the Olympics.  And why the Japanese public opposes it.  Not because they think visitors will bring the virus into the country, but that the Olympics may be a priority over Japanese healthcare

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/26/tokyo-olympics-asahi-shimbun-newspaper-games-must-be-cancelled-covid-outbreak-japan

A major Japanese newspaper has called for the cancellation of the Tokyo Olympics, warning that the Games pose a threat to public health and will place additional strain on the country’s health service as it struggles to contain the latest wave of coronavirus.

In an editorial on Wednesday, the liberal Asahi Shimbun – an official Olympic partner – urged the prime minister, Yoshihide Suga, “to calmly and objectively assess the situation and decide on the cancellation of the event this summer”.

Stop with this super-spreader fear mongering, they are acting as if the Olympics would happen normally without limitations and safety protocols. If the Japanese government wants to pull out, stop building up excuses through the media, do it now and pay the consequences.

I ask you a question (I believe nobody wrote it here): is it possible in your opinion that some nation decides not to participate in Tokyo due to COVID? I intend a total block as a denial. Such as the Australian national team did on the occasion of the diving qualification a short time ago. Ps sorry for my english (google translate docet :thumbup:)

57 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

I ask you a question (I believe nobody wrote it here): is it possible in your opinion that some nation decides not to participate in Tokyo due to COVID? I intend a total block as a denial. Such as the Australian national team did on the occasion of the diving qualification a short time ago. Ps sorry for my english (google translate docet :thumbup:)

North Korea won't participate. A few small african nations may pull out. Oceania too has a lot of islands some of whom have already participated in qualifiers this year, but I believe IOC will do it's best to have all of them in the games. 

With the latest lockdown in Melbourne are the Australian people really going to be happy seeing a lot of athletes flying toJapan and then having to quarantine on return. Wouldn’t be shocked to Australia talking about withdrawing soon.