website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

Well this is a closed topic now. Why would you want to make yourself more anxious discussing it again. Better discuss about the medal predictions of your nations.

Btw @up and down you are from Australia who is absolutely convinced about the games happening. They are 5 steps ahead of all nations in world as they have unveiled kits, opening ceremony uniforms, detailed about playbooks and launched their teams in most sports. 

Well totally agreed by the suggestions given that there is not much point to discuss about the cancellation of the Tokyo Olympics now. Anyway there is still no confirmation from IOC yet. Just need to wait till July and then the truth will be revealed by then. :d

42 minutes ago, nenad said:

I mean it's in two months time, too much money has already been invested, networks are preparing without any chance of cancelation. Yeah, we could have something like an earthquake God forbid or some sort of chinese rocket coming back to Earth again but it won't be canceled due to Covid that's for sure. 

I would almost say "I'd eat my shoe if it's cancelled because of COVID", indeed :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

At least it's not a matter of eating the carpet like a Dutch cycling commentator :p 

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/564081_e533bb1f

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I will add my "5 cents". Olympics will not be cancelled, it's too late for that, too much qualification events are happening or already finished, 75% of athletes already qualified and prepare for life time chance to earn the medals. We had also many other sport events which weren't "super-spreader" and the Games also won't be this super-spreader as IOC and WHO are trying made Olympic Village and sport venues the safest places in the world right now.

Japanese people and opposition parties are blaming current government for fourth wave, they have right, because Japan NEVER had proper lockdown as almost every country in the world had in March-April and then in October-January. Such things like banning drinking alcohol outside, closing shops after 21:00 and home office are laughable restrictions. If they would introduced real lockdown way earlier now Japan would have similar number of cases as Australia and New Zealand have. Also having 6k-9k cases per day in country with such huge population is laughable too. They are acting as people would die on the streets and nobody can't get help from nurses and doctors... Most of countries at such number of cases opened everything and are trying return to normal life.

But all those protest doesn't make any sense as it would hurts the athletes the most (they will be for 99% separated from Japanese citizens) and cancelling the Games will not improve current situation and additionaly it would destroy worldwide good opinion of country of Japan, which always was presented as the best prepared country to everything and the most developed, sometimes few years above the rest of the world. The real chance for improving situation is vaccination system which doesn't work in Japan, why? Such smart and well behaved people like Japanese are afraid for vaccines? Hilarious, really. Without those vaccines they will have dozens more waves and will never ends there.

I add the very few cents left in my wallet (:yikes: :facepalm: :rofl:)...

frustrated and angry man mode, on...

I'd really like to torture and kill all the people in the world (and especially the trolls on this forum, which is supposed to be a sports' enthusiasts forum) who are against the Olympic Games (especially this year, but not only)...:bones:

frustrated and angry man mode, off...

My few cents..

I've seen way too much people trying to paint the picture that the Olympics are somehow evil, that the IOC is forcing this upon Japan.  There's some truth to that, but it's not their fault that Japan seemed to have things under control and then it has all gone wrong the past few months.  That's not the IOC's fault.

I can understand where Japanese citizens are coming from that the Olympics are no longer being held for their benefit.  But they need to pipe down with the idea that the Olympics will worsen the pandemic.  That type of fear-mongering needs to stop.  It is probably somewhat reckless for the Olympics to be held in a country where the healthcare system is under such tremendous strain.  Again, not the Olympics' fault.  And selfishly, I'm glad that Japanese leadership wouldn't dare admit their mistakes and say they can no longer hold the Olympics.  So yes, any talk of the current circumstances resulting in the cancellation of the Olympics is a waste of keystrokes.

My few cents, from wire services:  Mr. Richard Pound says: "Before the end of June, you really need to know, yes or no,"  "There will be no further postponement"  "They go ahead, or they cancel."

So, US swimming and athletics trials run 6/13 to 6/27, so we would get an adverse decision right in the middle.

and 

Ms. Kaori Yamugchui, a member of the JOC, says "organizers are cornered"  "We are starting to reach a point where we cant even cancel anymore."