website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

I think the wealthier nations will make sure that their athletes will be there 14 days before the Games to reduce the risk. Europeans would likely travel there early anyway to get used to the time zone. IOC probably wants to avoid the complete withdrawal of some nations so they aren't making anything mandatory other than the testing and the usual CIVID safety measures. 

Aren't they telling athletes not to come early?  I don't think that's going to be the solution.  If athletes and other officials are being constantly tested, then the usual rules about 14 days aren't as important.

54 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I can't imagine being a candidate for an Olympic medal and being tested positive one day prior to my competition and being forced to withdraw due to a positive test. Unfortunately, I believe there will be such desperate situations during the Games this year. 

At some point, it's going to happen than an athlete can't compete in their event because of a positive test.  What I'm curious to see is what happens if multiple athletes in the same event test positive.. do they then change the schedule of that event because of it?

6 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

At some point, it's going to happen than an athlete can't compete in their event because of a positive test.  What I'm curious to see is what happens if multiple athletes in the same event test positive.. do they then change the schedule of that event because of it?

I guess it would be impossible to change the schedule. TV rights and all that ...... Moreover athletes prepare for the event and they know the day in advance. Of course, they would not accept one week postpone. But I suppose either postpone or withdraw the covid-19 positive athletes, no sollution will be fair enough for all. 

If a team event or the majority of the field is put into isolation pending testingthen some events might be postponed until everyone has been tested and checked but I doubt anything will be postponed for positive tests unless it really gets out of control and not doing would truly undermine the games, 

7 hours ago, Benolympique said:

these Olympic games are going to be a disaster! I thought all athletes would be vaccinated?

I know that USA and Israel opened vaccinations for everyone.   So anyone who will want it will be vaccinated.  

At this point, with all those regulations, restrictions and possible excluding due to false postive tests the Games should be cancelled, smaller nations will not show up or will be forced to withdraw in last moment due to not having vaccinated athletes. It will not be fair for all those athletes who trained and waited by 5 years and can be excluded in last moment. Also we can't forget all those polls and number of people who wanted the Games to postponed or cancelled at all. Now I see their point, they were right from the beginning.

sarcasm

14 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Not sure yet. We will not know until June or July 

42 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

hypocrisy at its best, then...

they still allow people to go to the local baseball games (even if only at 10 to 50% of seating capacity, depending on the city where they play) and they want to stop people from going to watch the Olympic events?

mah...

frankly, I'm a bit tired of all this "ideas" going against all the logics and everything they're doing right now in the world (and in Japan) with all the sports...:facepalm:

46 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Fake news, Olympics will go ahead smoothly with arenas and stadiums filled with spectator. Pandemic will officially end next month.