website statistics

Sprint Canoeing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

Meanwhile, there are 42 athletes entered for W K1 500 m. A possibility not even predicted by the ICF's progression system.

Crazy to have a sport increasing max starters per NOC at this day and age.

Canada *really* stretched the rule by selecting Laurence Vincent-Lapointe for their women’s K1-500m quota and entering her as a double starter in her two actual events (women’s C1 and C2).

I suspect she will make no effort to make it out of the quarterfinals in the K1-500, assuming she even starts (the C1 event is on the same day).

I actually do like this rule change, though. If the IOC is forcing you to treat every athlete quota like a precious resource you might as well get the most use out of each one.

7 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Canada *really* stretched the rule by selecting Laurence Vincent-Lapointe for their women’s K1-500m quota and entering her as a double starter in her two actual events (women’s C1 and C2).

I suspect she will make no effort to make it out of the quarterfinals in the K1-500, assuming she even starts (the C1 event is on the same day).

I actually do like this rule change, though. If the IOC is forcing you to treat every athlete quota like a precious resource you might as well get the most use out of each one.

I hope she tries otherwise she took a spot from an athlete that could have.

9 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I believe that because she occupies the boat quota for K1 500m she must compete in that event, or she will be ineligible to compete in the canoe events. Plus, like @intoronto said, she should make at least an honest effort in the WK1 500m since she’s filling the spot earned by another athlete’s effort.

I would be in agreement that I like the new quota allocation and entry rules for Canoe Sprint. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 15/07/2021 at 03:11, NearPup said:

Chinese kayak athlete Yang Xiaoxu did the same thing. He take the C1 quota and entering as double starter for k1-200m and k4-500m. China didn’t earn the k4 quota on WCh but eager to compete this event. So after earning 3 kayak quotas we chose to pick a kayak athlete to take the C1 spot and form a K4 team. China is the only K4 squad which failed to earn the quota in WCh but forming the team.

I feel we never have enough "good info" for these Games ...... :GER K4 Kayak destroyed while reloading in Luxembourg by forklift :facepalm: I have no enough face palm to express ..... Tom Liebscher says: "Boats likes this are only 2 in the world. One is now destroyed. The other is in Duisburg which we used for trainings."

Well, let's hope they will get it in time and will be able to fight for medal. These Games have already enough negativity ...... 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I am kinda dreading the start of these because of the crazy suprises at these Games and also because Hungarian athletes aren't having a great SOG. Our goal is 3 gold medals, like in Rio and London, and it's definitely plausible... but it's also plausible that we flop and don't win any, like the Brits in rowing or the Italians in fencing. We are definitely not as strong in women's kayak as we were in Rio, Kozák is getting old and we don't have anyone who's as amazing as she is/was. But the good news is that we improved in men's kayak compared to Rio and have better chances... except in K4 where we are really bad for some reason. Sigh.