website statistics

Rowing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

7 hours ago, El Greco 21 said:

Greek Stefanos Ntouskos seemed in a pretty good shape in his first race. He had the chance for an easy race, to get more familiar with the venue and to hold up his power for the next races. Hopefully he will have the same chance on Sunday, and then to give his all in the last two races. I understand that the fact that he won easily, or that he had the second best time of all qualifiers is not a legit sign that he is going for a medal, but who knows? For whoever watched the shape he was in, and how with few ropes gaining more meters, maybe we have a good shot here for a medal.

I agree, I've been saying that for a few months now. I think he has a good shot to take a medal. He's done very well post-pandemic and the men's single sculls lost a few big names like Manson and Synek.

1 minute ago, Oldira said:

A bad 24 hours for us. Brutal boxing draw, Shane Ryan injured and the Double Sculls disaster. Can’t seem how they can retrieve this. One of best medal contenders in trouble already. They skipped the press conference too which is not a good sign. 

Always feel sorry for Ireland in the boxing.  They put so much of their limited money & effort into it & always end up getting ripped off by the central Asian cartels which dominate the sport. :boxing:

2 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Always feel sorry for Ireland in the boxing.  They put so much of their limited money & effort into it & always end up getting ripped off by the central Asian cartels which dominate the sport. :boxing:

In fairness it was just hard luck at the draw. I don’t think they would rig the draw. 

15 minutes ago, dodge said:

Losing Shane Ryan isn’t a big deal. Let’s see what happens the rowers and let’s hope the boxers get a bit of luck

Don't panic yet on the rowers. It looked like their start went to pot, and they overcooked trying to bring it back. They were relatively close on time to all the main boats (within a couple of seconds), and should be able to get out of the repechage in 3rd gear. But they will have needed an inquest today over how that happened.

Puspure didn't look altogether happy, and still won at a canter, as did Vicky Thornley. Early days there...