website statistics

Karate 2018 Discussion Thread

thepharoah

6 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

I think I exactly asked for such change in Kata scoring system. having a number as the final score is much better than just a 5-0 or 4-1 which doesn't show the real difference between two competitors.

the new Kata format is also interesting. what if we have less than 16 competitors ? we still should have those 1st/2nd rounds or we can go directly to the pre-final round . what about the Olympics with only 10 competitors ? 2 groups of 5 and then after one round of Kata, group winner to the final ?

and finally 3 minutes competition for women. even though I still prefer 4 minutes for both gender but still this is better than only 2 minutes !!! still no extra time but positive changes in general.

good questions...but, at least for now, still without an answer...

I think they will let us know those details in the next months, after looking carefully at the outcome of the new system in the first K1PL and Serie A events of the 2019...:mumble:

p.s. if I have to guess, in Tokyo they could go for a preliminary round with 2 groups of 5 and the top 4 advancing to the main round...then 2 groups of 4 with the groups' winners making the Gold medal match and the 2nd and 3rd of each group making the Bronze medal bouts (crossover between the 2 groups of course), so to have at least 2 kata before the finals (only 1 would be really a shame)...

but it's only my personal guess...:dunno:

1 hour ago, phelps said:

good questions...but, at least for now, still without an answer...

I think they will let us know those details in the next months, after looking carefully at the outcome of the new system in the first K1PL and Serie A events of the 2019...:mumble:

p.s. if I have to guess, in Tokyo they could go for a preliminary round with 2 groups of 5 and the top 4 advancing to the main round...then 2 groups of 4 with the groups' winners making the Gold medal match and the 2nd and 3rd of each group making the Bronze medal bouts (crossover between the 2 groups of course), so to have at least 2 kata before the finals (only 1 would be really a shame)...

but it's only my personal guess...:dunno:

having a round to eliminate just one athlete doesn't make sense unless they keep the scores for the 2nd round. I mean using the total score to detemine the finalists. they can also having all 5 athletes having 2 rounds.  because I agree only 1 would be really a shame

12 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

having a round to eliminate just one athlete doesn't make sense unless they keep the scores for the 2nd round. I mean using the total score to detemine the finalists. they can also having all 5 athletes having 2 rounds.  because I agree only 1 would be really a shame

I agree...wasting 1 round to eliminate just 2 athletes out of 10 doesn't make a lot of sense, but after watching at least 2 consecutive Games where in women's waterpolo they didn't eliminate a single team in the group stage (all 8 teams advancing to quarterfinals) or Eights crews in Rowing with heats and repechage (2 rounds!) used to eliminate just 1 single boat, nothing's gonna surprise me anymore in terms of weird and senseless competition formats (and it's gonna happen also in Tokyo, with the Baseball tournament -the craziest and most unfair format I haver seen at the Olympics)...

p.s. keeping the score of both rounds would be a good idea...and I also would ask the athletes to perform 2 different Kata in round #1 and round #2 (not daring to ask for a 3rd different Kata in the finals yet, though)...