website statistics

Athletes with origins from other Countries

Makedonas

I'm going to do the :ESP one from the athletes already qualyfied to the 2020 Olympics (In team sports, I took the rooster for the qualifying event), in some ranking events I counted some people that look like they would qualify. Probably missing people though:

ATHLETICS

:CUB Orlando Ortega (110 hurdles) and Louis Maikel Martínez (Hammer): deflected from Cuba

:MAR Adel Mechaal (1500) and Houssame Bennabou (Marathon) came with their parents when they were kids. Ayad Lamdassem (marathon) emigrated from Morocco. Hamid Ben Daoud (Marathon) came to Spain as an illegal immigrant at 14 years old hidden behind a truck. Similar story to Ibrahim Eyzzaidounni (3000Ste)

Also, Ana Peleteiro was born in Spain to uknown parents, who couldn't take take of her so they put her in foster, and was addopted as a baby by her family, She doesn't know her origin.

BASKETBALL

:MNE Nikola Mirotic, born in Montenegro

:SEN Nogaye Lo, born in Spain to senegalese parents.

BEACH VOLLEYBALL

:CRO Liliana Fernandez was born in Spain to a spanish father and a croatian mother.

:USA Elsa Baquerizo's mom is american.

CANOEING

:GER:GBR Marcus Walz's parents came from UK and Germany

FOOTBALL

:DOM Junior Firpo, originally from the Dominican Republic.

GYMNASTICS

:DOM Ray Zapata was born in the Dominican Republic before moving to Spain at a young age.

:GUI Thierno Boubacar, his family moved to Spain at a young age.

:ROU Roxanna Popa, same as Thierno

HANDBALL

:KGZ Alex and Daniel Dujshebaev, born in Spain to a Kyrgz father, their mother has :RUS origin.

JUDO

:GEO Niko Sherazadishvili was born in Georgia, where he started in Judo before moving to Spain.

KARATE

:ARG Damian Quintero's family emigrated to Spain when he was five.

SAILING

:GER Florian Trittel's fathers are german.

SWIMMING

:BRA Hugo Gonzalez's mother was born in Brazil.

TENNIS

:VEN Garbiñe Muguruza was born in Venezuela, her mother is from Venezuela, his father was an exiliated spaniard.

:USA Paula Badosa has part of american origin.

WATERPOLO

:BRA Felipe Perrone was born in Brazil. He started compiting from Spain, then represented Brazil and now is with Spain again.

22 minutes ago, Jur said:

I'm going to do the :ESP one from the athletes already qualyfied to the 2020 Olympics (In team sports, I took the rooster for the qualifying event), in some ranking events I counted some people that look like they would qualify. Probably missing people though:

ATHLETICS

:CUB Orlando Ortega (110 hurdles) and Louis Maikel Martínez (Hammer): deflected from Cuba

:MAR Adel Mechaal (1500) and Houssame Bennabou (Marathon) came with their parents when they were kids. Ayad Lamdassem (marathon) emigrated from Morocco. Hamid Ben Daoud (Marathon) came to Spain as an illegal immigrant at 14 years old hidden behind a truck. Similar story to Ibrahim Eyzzaidounni (3000Ste)

Also, Ana Peleteiro was born in Spain to uknown parents, who couldn't take take of her so they put her in foster, and was addopted as a baby by her family, She doesn't know her origin.

BASKETBALL

BEACH VOLLEYBALL

:CRO Liliana Fernandez was born in Spain to a spanish father and a croatian mother.

CANOEING

FOOTBALL

GYMNASTICS

:DOM Ray Zapata was born in the Dominican Republic before moving to Spain at a young age.

HANDBALL

:KGZ Alex and Daniel Dujshebaev, born in Spain to a Kyrgz father, their mother has :RUS origin.

JUDO

:GEO Niko Sherazadishvili was born in Georgia, where he started in Judo before moving to Spain.

KARATE

SAILING

SWIMMING

TENNIS

:VEN Garbiñe Muguruza was born in Venezuela, her mother is from Venezuela, his father was an exiliated spaniard.

WATERPOLO

:BRA Felipe Perrone was born in Brazil. He started compiting from Spain, then represented Brazil and now is with Spain again.

Artemi Gavezou Castro doesn't compete anymore? I don't follow rhythmic gymnastics so I have no idea.

Also what about the tennis player Bolsova Zadoinov? Obviously her name is not Spanish, though you probably didn't include her because it's unlikely that she'll make it to Tokyo. Definitely not impossible though.

I'll list only foreign-born people currently representing Argentina in olympic sports, don't want to speak about ancestry of our people because it would be complex to classify, like for most nations in american continent. There could be someone else in a team sport that I'm forgetting.

Matias Albarracin :BRA (Equestrian jumping, olympian 2016, but his family is argentinian and he has lived here since he was a kid )

Iryna Khokhlova :UKR (modern pentathlon, olympian 2016)

Sol Fainberg :ESP (Rhythmic Gymnastics, pan am games 2019, argentinian parents)

Stefano Lucchetti :USA (Fencing, pan am games 2019, argentinian parents)

About argentinians currently representing other nations in olympic sports that will probably be in Tokyo (so, not counting athletes that have already failed to qualify):

Valentin Verga :NED (hockey, olympian 2012, 2016)

Gonzalo Echenique :ESP (formerly) & currently :ITA (water polo, olympian 2016)

Damian Quintero :ESP (Karate kata, as stated above)

Pablo Cuevas :URU (tennis, just born here but lived in Uruguay all his life)

There are also some athletes not born here but with argentinian roots scattered around the world (most notable would be american Diana Taurasi, the basketball player) but I can't remember them all right now.

About the past, there have been numerous argentinians representing other nations, mainly Spain and Italy (obviously). In the case of italy a lot, specially in sports like football, rugby and field hockey, but also some in sports like volleyball or sailing. 

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Artemi Gavezou Castro doesn't compete anymore? I don't follow rhythmic gymnastics so I have no idea.

Also what about the tennis player Bolsova Zadoinov? Obviously her name is not Spanish, though you probably didn't include her because it's unlikely that she'll make it to Tokyo. Definitely not impossible though.

No, Artemi retired (the full spanish RG team that was silver in Rio retired in 2018).

Yes, Aliona Bolsova is from Moldova. But I didn't include her since she's probably not making the games. Same thing with Alejandro Davidovich, who was born in Spain but his parents are from Russia.

19 hours ago, Jur said:

ATHLETICS

BASKETBALL

BEACH VOLLEYBALL

CANOEING

FOOTBALL

GYMNASTICS

HANDBALL

JUDO

KARATE

SAILING

SWIMMING

TENNIS

WATERPOLO

I know another Brazilian. Vicente Romero, Surfing. He has good chances to qualify.

https://www.fesurf.es/blog/2020/07/30/17890/

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Not sure of her exact origin, but Greek-sounding :SUI Antonella Joannou stands an outside chance of getting selected for Tokyo.

I had never heard of her until now. I just looked her up and found that her birth name was Antonella de Rahm. So she probably married a Greek (or Greek-Cypriot because Joannou sounds very Cypriot especially with that spelling). Thank you for pointing her out though.

6 hours ago, Laraja said:

I know another Brazilian. Vicente Romero, Surfing. He has good chances to qualify.

https://www.fesurf.es/blog/2020/07/30/17890/

Also Darly Zoqbi, goalkeper in the womans handball, was born in Brazil and has chances to go to the Olympics if we qualify the team.

:POR

I will do only for qualified athletes or for those that will surely qualify (example: very good rankings on Judo). I can update later as some others might join...

Athletics

Evelise Veiga - qualified - triple Jump W- Born in :CPV (raised in :POR.

Patricia Mamona -  triple Jump W - Born in :POR of :ANG ancestry

Pedro Pablo Pichardo - Triple Jump M - From :CUB

Nelson Évora - Triple Jump M - born :CPV in :CIV, in :POR since child.

Auriol Dongmo - Shot Put W - from :CMR

Canoeing

Antoine Launay - K1 Slalom M -  :FRA of :POR ancestry

Equestrian

Luciana Diniz - Jumping Individual - :BRA of :POR ancestry

Swimming

Tamila Holub 1500m F - :UKR, in :POR since child.

Table Tennis 

Fu Yu - Woman singles - :CHN, in :POR for 20 years now, married to a Portuguese 

Judo

Bárbara Timo - -70Kg - from :BRA

Rochele Nunes - +78Kg - from :BRA

Anri Egutidze - -81kg - :GEO, in :POR since a young age (not sure if since child...)

Jorge Fonseca - -100Kg - born in :STP, in :POR since child

• 1 month later...

Some Greek football players who have represented our national team in the last decade or so:

Panagiotis Kone - Born in Albania to Albanian parents

Lazaros Rota - Born in Greece to Albanian parents

Fiorin Durmishaj - Born in Albania. Moved to Greece at a young age

Marios Vrousai - Born in Greece to Albanian parents

Jose Holebas - Born in Germany to a Greek father and a Uruguayan mother

Zeca - Born in raised in Portugal. Received Greek citizenship after playing for Panathinaikos for 5+ years and learning to speak fluent Greek

Dimitris Limnios - Born in Greece to a Greek father and a Brazilian mother

Leonardo Koutris - Born in Brazil to a Greek father and a Brazilian mother. Moved to Greece at a young age

Odysseas Vlachodimos - Born in Germany to Greek parents

Thanos Petsos - Born in Germany to Greek parents

Vasilis Barkas - Born in the Netherlands to a Greek father and Dutch mother. Moved to Greece at a young age

Pantelis Chatzidiakos - Born in Greece to a Greek father and Dutch mother

Panagiotis Retsos - Born in South Africa to Greek parents. Moved to Greece at a young age

Loukas Vyntra - Born in the Czech Republic (then Czechoslovakia) to a Czech father and Greek mother. Moved to Greece at a young age

Sotiris Ninis - Born in Albania to Greek parents. Moved to Greece at a young age

Avraam Papadopoulos - Born in Australia to Greek parents. Moved to Greece at a young age

ALSO: Giorgos Giakoumakis - Born in Greece to Roma parents. I believe he is only the second Greek Roma to play for our national team, at least that I can remember.

The guys in bold are players who have been called up to play for the national team within the last 12 months.