website statistics

Athletes with origins from other Countries

Makedonas

5 minutes ago, gubchandrolai said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/olympics.com/en/featured-news/swimming-james-guy-britain-five-things

From India? Are you sure? Because seems like he might was a part of British colonial enterprise and have been in India at some point in his life, but never found that he was an Indian.

The name George Guy - also doesn't sound Indian.

He is what is known as Anglo Indian I believe. There often have English names but have partial native Indian ancestry. James’s Guy dad was on TV yesterday and is visiably of Partial Indian ancestry. My mum’s school best friend was of a similar background. 

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

He is what is known as Anglo Indian I believe. There often have English names but have partial native Indian ancestry. James’s Guy dad was on TV yesterday and is visiably of Partial Indian ancestry. My mum’s school best friend was of a similar background. 

Okay okay, nice to know. Will be cheering more loudly in Mixed 4X100 Medley I guess :p

1 hour ago, gubchandrolai said:

Okay okay, nice to know. Will be cheering more loudly in Mixed 4X100 Medley I guess :p

I suppose most Indians don't like to dwell on the colonial era much.  Generally such families were engineers, railwaymen, miners & so on.  British technicians who married Indian ladies, had families which obviously followed the father's name & came back to Blighty at some point post 1947.  Those who stayed on just got absorbed back into the Indian side of their family. The exact same thing has been discussed on other threads here about Dutch Indonesians. The most famous Anglo-Indian is Cliff Richard, the singer. 

4 hours ago, rajiv said:

The captain of the Australian women's football team Sam Kerr is Anglo-Indian by origin 

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I suppose most Indians don't like to dwell on the colonial era much.  Generally such families were engineers, railwaymen, miners & so on.  British technicians who married Indian ladies, had families which obviously followed the father's name & came back to Blighty at some point post 1947.  Those who stayed on just got absorbed back into the Indian side of their family. The exact same thing has been discussed on other threads here about Dutch Indonesians. The most famous Anglo-Indian is Cliff Richard, the singer. 

Looked up both and very interesting stories. In fact they have connections with Calcutta (now, Kolkata), the city where I grew up. 

Even Cliff Richard has a background story which is directly connected with my research, 'Direct Action Day'. 

Thank you rajiv and grassmarket.

I think most people could work out that :HKG swimmer Siobhan Haughey has Irish origins, but I did not know that she is actually related to the former Irish Prime Minister* Charles Haughey - her great uncle. 

*Yes, I know, but let's keep things simple

• 1 year later...

Michal Martikán ...

(5 time Olympian - 5 time Olympic medalist - 2 G - 2 S - 1 B)

14 times World Champion, 23 WCH medals in total

14 times European Champion, 21 ECH medals in total

20 times World Cup winner, 42 Podiums in total (There only 5 WC races per year)

5 Times Overall World Cup winner (Which is still the record among M C1 paddlers)

... after failing to qualify for the National team (and thus fighting in the internal qualifier for the Olympics) is strongly intending to represent another country, he even wanted to qualify for Paris, but according ICF rules it is not possible to switch nationalities before November, so he can not start at the Worlds this year..

and yeah, the country, will be likely one of

:UAE :AUT :CHN he apparently already started some discussion with these federations

Source in svk https://sport.aktuality.sk/ostatne-sporty/clanok/michal-martikan-chce-reprezentovat-iny-stat-2023072706561051884

26 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Michal Martikán ...

(5 time Olympian - 5 time Olympic medalist - 2 G - 2 S - 1 B)

14 times World Champion, 23 WCH medals in total

14 times European Champion, 21 ECH medals in total

20 times World Cup winner, 42 Podiums in total (There only 5 WC races per year)

5 Times Overall World Cup winner (Which is still the record among M C1 paddlers)

... after failing to qualify for the National team (and thus fighting in the internal qualifier for the Olympics) is strongly intending to represent another country, he even wanted to qualify for Paris, but according ICF rules it is not possible to switch nationalities before November, so he can not start at the Worlds this year..

and yeah, the country, will be likely one of

:UAE :AUT :CHN he apparently already started some discussion with these federations

Source in svk https://sport.aktuality.sk/ostatne-sporty/clanok/michal-martikan-chce-reprezentovat-iny-stat-2023072706561051884

Austria is the interesting outlier there. The others are typical sportswashing countries, but....Austria? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Austria is the interesting outlier there. The others are typical sportswashing countries, but....Austria? :d 

Austria are the comfortable nighbours...Bratislava to Vienna...just 20 mins drive from home (if it wasn't for traffic) ;)