website statistics

Weightlifting 2018 Discussion Thread

VolleyRuller96

1 minute ago, Quasit said:

Weird to see only 5 entries in Women's -81kg when there are 20+ in -87kg and +87kg but yeah, I will take these entry lists with a pinch of salt. :wacko:

not really a surprise. this is a non-Olympic weight. a new one and we never had competition around this body weight. it will take time to have some athletes in this weight. and I think non-Olympic weights for women is a very bad idea. at least the number of weightlifters for non-Olympic weights in men's is reasonable.

@dcro  @MHSN

Yes but since it's there we shouldn't forget there's still a world championship title for grabs but that title will look like a farce. Shows how in the mindset only the Olympics are important, although in a sport where we have world championships every year it's somewhat understandable.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

1 minute ago, Quasit said:

@dcro  @MHSN

Yes but since it's there we shouldn't forget there's still a world championship title for grabs but that title will look like a farce. Shows how in the mindset only the Olympics are important, although in a sport where we have world championships every year it's somewhat understandable.

that's not the only reason. there is another reason . more important. they announced the new weight classes only few months ago. not a year ago and bodyweight matters a lot in this sport. before that we had 90kg and 75kg. huge difference between those weights and 81kg , all 75kg weightlifters now go to 76kg and all 90kg athletes try 87kg (even 90kg was new itself. they made that only a year ago) it's probably hard to fine a high level weightlifter in this weight in such a short time and since results from here will be counted for the Olympic ranking. I guess none of top 75kg weightlifters wanted to try 81 and lost this opportunity of course they probably didn't know the level will be this low ! maybe only the host nation had the preliminary list before being published and that's why they have a weightlifter here in this weight.

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

@MHSN how you read this ? :d

889a227b-a043-418c-ac0c-bfdb758c021b.png

in Iran, he is just known as Amir Hoghoughi. the rest should be ignored

btw according to iran federation. they sent a list of 10+2 (reserve) weightlifters to IWF but only 9 of them are here in this list. they already contacted IWF to fix the mistake. Mohammad Zareei, Homayoun Teymouri and Alireza Soleimani are missing here. maybe there is such a mistake for other countries as well.

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

in Iran, he is just known as Amir Hoghoughi. the rest should be ignored

Someone really needs to tell stuff like this to Dutch commentators. For example they kept breaking their tongues over Reza Alipourshenazandifard at the recent climbing world champs even though as far as I know (from reading on Totallympics :d) in a ton of those long names the last part is kinda ignored, so in this case it'd be simply Reza Alipour...not that much of a tongue-twister anymore :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

By the way, I wonder if Ilyin has gone absolutely balls-out an injected all of Kazakhstans drug reserves just to put up a mega show for us :d I'm expecting something big

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

35 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

By the way, I wonder if Ilyin has gone absolutely balls-out an injected all of Kazakhstans drug reserves just to put up a mega show for us :d I'm expecting something big

yeah, I want to see some highlight real stuff from him...:lol:

and who cares if he's the king of cheaters...in any case, the cleanest of them all is basically a walking pharmacy...:whistle:

so, let's go for a great show anyway...