website statistics

Weightlifting 2018 Discussion Thread

VolleyRuller96

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Someone really needs to tell stuff like this to Dutch commentators. For example they kept breaking their tongues over Reza Alipourshenazandifard at the recent climbing world champs even though as far as I know (from reading on Totallympics :d) in a ton of those long names the last part is kinda ignored, so in this case it'd be simply Reza Alipour...not that much of a tongue-twister anymore :p 

:d I don't think that's their fault. (they have to be very motivated and love their job to do extra research about everybody's names) that's Iranian officials fault to not care about such a simple thing. from what I see only IJF cares about this and fixed some long names of Iranian judokas. UWW even made them longer by adding father's name :d

yeah as I said before the 2nd part is 99% to be ignored. but since there is no space. it's hard for a non-Persian speaking person to see which is the 2nd part.

IWF announced the list of new World Standard records for new weight classes. this time they look reasonable. last time they did that in 1998 some of their standards were too high and nobody never achieved them ! they had to make some modifications later after few years. but I assume this time after few years we won't have any World Standard Record remaning

https://www.iwf.net/results/results_newbw/

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

IWF announced the list of new World Standard records for new weight classes. this time they look reasonable. last time they did that in 1998 some of their standards were too high and nobody never achieved them ! they had to make some modifications later after few years. but I assume this time after few years we won't have any World Standard Record remaning

https://www.iwf.net/results/results_newbw/

This new weight classes thing, does IWF actually say it's because of the old ones being too tainted by doping? Or are the reasons ignored? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

That 109+ snatch WR is gone after Talakadze's first attempt in Ashgabat :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This new weight classes thing, does IWF actually say it's because of the old ones being too tainted by doping? Or are the reasons ignored? :d 

actually because IOC forced them to have 7 weight classes at the Olympics. so they thought 7 is too low. so they changed the whole thing to have a 10 weight classes including 3 non-Olympics and as usual they do the same for women.

I see a Totallympics prediction contest for fun coming up: predict which of the standard WR's will be gone after the 2018 world champs and by how much kg. Most correct WR's wins and the kg's can be used in case of a tie or something :p 

:PER Lima is selected to host 2021 World Weightlifting Championships.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1071668/lima-selected-to-host-2021-world-weightlifting-championships-as-iwf-executive-board-meeting-concludes

Lima hosted the World Weightlifting Championships 40 years ago (1971), which also was the last and only time a country in South America has hosted a World Weightlifting Championships.

looks like Ilyin is not going to actually participate in the competition. he is going to Turkmenistan just to register his name because of Olympic qualification process but it seems he is injured and will put a "no mark" there.

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

looks like Ilyin is not going to actually participate in the competition. he is going to Turkmenistan just to register his name because of Olympic qualification process but it seems he is injured and will put a "no mark" there.

33069661.jpg

Seven times world champion and national Armenian hero Yurik Vardanyan has died, aged 62.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurik_Vardanyan