website statistics

Football 2018 Discussion Thread

Henry_Leon

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

well hard to compare editions to each other but I can say 2000 in Lebanon and 2007 Southeast Asia were the worst. and yeah 2004 was one of the better editions.

yeah I remember that match :d can't remember why the ref changed the goal during the penalties, I remember Zico (Japan coach) protested a lot just to have a break and save his team (after missing 2 early penalties) and it worked pretty well for him. we were following Jordan team at the time closely because they just beat Iran at Azadi Stadium in 2006 World Cup qualifier few days before the Asian Cup and we had to play them right after the Asian Cup in Amman.

the officiating was bad in that edition as usual. I remember Iran-Oman match, where the Bahraini ref should sent off 3 of our players but he didn't notice all those actions !! (two of them slapped each other !!) but the one Iranians never forget was the semifinal . the Lebanese ref red carded Sattar Zare for no reason at the start of the 1st half and forced us to play with 10 men against the host team (China later deserved a red card but didn't happen) but of course the frame I remember from that competition was the last penalty. what the commentator said after the penalty is still very famous here. Golmohammadi tried a Penanka penalty in the last one and badly missed it. I'm still hearing his voice :d

speaking of penalties, we got eliminated in 1984 (KSA), 1996 (KSA), 2004 (CHN), 2007 (KOR) and 2015 (IRQ)  editions by penalties. :d  and I remember all of them (except 1984) still like it was yesterday.

Iran vs. Korea in quarters was one of the best matches i've seen in Asian Cups , it was really crazy one and ofc Ali Karimi was definetely the hero of this match by scoring a hatrick , even a bein comentator said after 4th goal in Arabic Ali karimi was very generous for Iran as u nay now Karim in Arabic means generous :d It looks like u have a very bad luck in penalties indeed 

On 24/12/2018 at 22:53, thepharoah said:

Iran vs. Korea in quarters was one of the best matches i've seen in Asian Cups , it was really crazy one and ofc Ali Karimi was definetely the hero of this match by scoring a hatrick , even a bein comentator said after 4th goal in Arabic Ali karimi was very generous for Iran as u nay now Karim in Arabic means generous :d It looks like u have a very bad luck in penalties indeed 

Yeah my Arabic isn't that bad :d Karimi was a great player and probably the best player we ever had but he also wasted his talent because of laziness and his stubborn personality.

bad luck ? no we are just bad at controlling emotions. we won couple of matches on penalties in 3rd place matches when there is no pressure. in those 5 matches, in two of them we were down to 10 men early in the match and I understand they couldn't go all attack but there is one thing the other 3 matches have in common which is unbelievable. in 1984, 1996 and 2007 our STUPID coaches changed the GK in 120th minute only for the penalties and that never worked. they were OK with the draw and penalties even though Iran was the better team in all of those matches and had to push more for the winning goal. one of the matches I never forgot is Italy-Germany in 2006, Lippi knew his chance will be very slim against Germans on the penalties, he replaced Camoranesi with Iaquinta and Perrotta with Del Piero in extra time. playing 4 strikers in extra time against Germany when the score is 0-0 was too risky but that's the difference between great coaches and average coward coaches.

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

Yeah my Arabic isn't that bad :d Karimi was a great player and probably the best player we ever had but he also wasted his talent because of laziness and his stubborn personality.

bad luck ? no we are just bad at controlling emotions. we won couple of matches on penalties in 3rd place matches when there is no pressure. in those 5 matches, in two of them we were down to 10 men early in the match and I understand they couldn't go all attack but there is one thing the other 3 matches have in common which is unbelievable. in 1984, 1996 and 2007 our STUPID coaches changed the GK in 120th minute only for the penalties and that never worked. they were OK with the draw and penalties even though Iran was the better team in all of those matches and had to push more for the winning goal. one of the matches I never forgot is Italy-Germany in 2006, Lippi knew his chance will be very slim against Germans on the penalties, he replaced Camoranesi with Iaquinta and Perrotta with Del Piero in extra time. playing 4 strikers in extra time against Germany when the score is 0-0 was too risky but that's the difference between great coaches and average coward coaches.

Ali Karimi was one of my favorite players in my childhood , i was really happy when he signed for Bayern Munchen my favorite team also , but maybe the movement from Emerati league to Bundesliga directly wasn't very good for him especially he moved to the biggest German Club of all ages , so he didn't get enough time to prove his real talent, this guy was really talented and ofc he's such a legend of Iranian and Asian football besides Ali Daei and Mahdi Mahdavekia i really like this treble :d this Semis match in 2006 was one of the really bad memories for me in football as i'm a crazy fan of Germany and i think Italy was a bit lucky to win this match , Germany was the better side even during over time , changing goalkeepers before penalty shootouts must deal with their ability to save some balls , any coach should be aware of his goalkeepers and their ability to save during penalty shootouts , but i think it's an appropriate to do so if there's no big difference between your keepers in penalties , it's better to just keep your keeper that played the whole game , but for example i blame Van Gaal for not subistuting Cillessen before Penalties with Argentina in 2014 WC Semis like what he did in quarters as it did worked out 

8 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Ali Karimi was one of my favorite players in my childhood , i was really happy when he signed for Bayern Munchen my favorite team also , but maybe the movement from Emerati league to Bundesliga directly wasn't very good for him especially he moved to the biggest German Club of all ages , so he didn't get enough time to prove his real talent, this guy was really talented and ofc he's such a legend of Iranian and Asian football besides Ali Daei and Mahdi Mahdavekia i really like this treble :d this Semis match in 2006 was one of the really bad memories for me in football as i'm a crazy fan of Germany and i think Italy was a bit lucky to win this match , Germany was the better side even during over time , changing goalkeepers before penalty shootouts must deal with their ability to save some balls , any coach should be aware of his goalkeepers and their ability to save during penalty shootouts , but i think it's an appropriate to do so if there's no big difference between your keepers in penalties , it's better to just keep your keeper that played the whole game , but for example i blame Van Gaal for not subistuting Cillessen before Penalties with Argentina in 2014 WC Semis like what he did in quarters as it did worked out 

Karimi turned down so many offers from Europe. he just wanted easy money in UAE. he went to Bayern only because he was under huge pressure here for being lazy and not being ambitious. he just wanted to show he can play in biggest leagues and biggest teams. he had a good start actually but got injured and never came back properly. only if Karimi had half of Daei's passion for the game or his determination ...

lol on that match I was on the other side :d oh come on, Italy hit the post twice by Gilardino and Zambrotta . Germany had few chances playing at home but Italy deserved it more.

btw I posted Iran 23-man squad for the Asian Cup in Iran national thread. Jahanbakhsh is in but Gholizadeh and Ezzatollahi are going to miss the tournament. :(

Speaking about Asian Cup, just found a interview of our former NT also Czechoslovakian NT player (1990 World Cup) and our former NT coach Ján Kocian

who is now the coach of guess who ? yes, Yemen :lol: from all places...

anyway, it was a interesting interview talking about the unfortunate situation of the devastated country,:( how it´s hard to find players, how it´s hard to trains them and finally about the goals of the team.  :)

He signed a deal for 6 months to coach the team at the championship, he never had and will never have to enter in the country, in his contract it´s also written that all his training camps and offices are in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and UAE. The national championship in Yemen doesn´t exist anymore, he never saw his players before, all the able active players (19 !) plays abroad in Arabian countries, he had to complete the team by U23 guys in order to fullfil the full roster.

he did not get any special goals from the federation, but he got one interesting directive, it was that he had to plan the trainings the way to not interfere them with the prayer times. :d and he got several assistants, some of them will serve as translators, because anyone of his players can speak english 

9 hours ago, hckosice said:

Speaking about Asian Cup, just found a interview of our former NT also Czechoslovakian NT player (1990 World Cup) and our former NT coach Ján Kocian

who is now the coach of guess who ? yes, Yemen :lol: from all places...

anyway, it was a interesting interview talking about the unfortunate situation of the devastated country,:( how it´s hard to find players, how it´s hard to trains them and finally about the goals of the team.  :)

He signed a deal for 6 months to coach the team at the championship, he never had and will never have to enter in the country, in his contract it´s also written that all his training camps and offices are in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and UAE. The national championship in Yemen doesn´t exist anymore, he never saw his players before, all the able active players (19 !) plays abroad in Arabian countries, he had to complete the team by U23 guys in order to fullfil the full roster.

he did not get any special goals from the federation, but he got one interesting directive, it was that he had to plan the trainings the way to not interfere them with the prayer times. :d and he got several assistants, some of them will serve as translators, because anyone of his players can speak english 

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to write a little something about this on a Dutch website :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

35 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to write a little something about this on a Dutch website :) 

https://www.cas.sk/clanok/750601/jan-kocian-sa-chysta-viest-futbalovu-reprezentaciu-kde-sa-nehra-ani-liga-v-jemene-je-vojna-tim-zlozim-v-cudzine/

there was also somewhere a full interview with him but I can not find it anywhere, will try to search. anyway everything I wrote in my previous post is in the article I just send you in the link

16 minutes ago, hckosice said:

https://www.cas.sk/clanok/750601/jan-kocian-sa-chysta-viest-futbalovu-reprezentaciu-kde-sa-nehra-ani-liga-v-jemene-je-vojna-tim-zlozim-v-cudzine/

there was also somewhere a full interview with him but I can not find it anywhere, will try to search. anyway everything I wrote in my previous post is in the article I just send you in the link

Thanks mate! I don't have much time to write something big anyway, but just the points you already wrote about are interesting enough :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!