website statistics

Men's Water Polo FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

Totallympics

Canada picked up a clutch win against rivals Brazil 11-7. 

I guess their famous Italian coach's plans before the tournament (training camp/playing against top club Italian teams), is paying dividends here.

With how Greece played against Georgia, maybe there is an outside shot of qualification

Pretty surprise by the greek performance. They might take this game too easily.

I am also surprise by the germans, I think they are not as good as the last euro but they seem not good at all for me. I was thinking than the second place of group B will be a battle between Russia, Germany and France but the Netherlands might be a contestant too. The last match of today will tell us a little more on this.

Day 1 Results

A

:GRE - :GEO  11-10

:CAN - :BRA  11-7

:MNE Rest Day

Provisional Standing After Day 1

1.  :CAN 2

2. :GRE 2

3. :GEO 0

4. :BRA 0

------------

-. :MNENot Played Yet

B

:NED - :GER  11-10

:CRO - :ROU  16-6

:RUS - :FRA  13-12

Provisional Standing After Day 1

1.  :CRO 2

2. :RUS 2

3. :NED 2

4. :GER 0

------------

5. :FRA 0

6. :ROU 0

On 14/02/2021 at 17:48, intoronto said:

Canada picked up a clutch win against rivals Brazil 11-7. 

I guess their famous Italian coach's plans before the tournament (training camp/playing against top club Italian teams), is paying dividends here.

With how Greece played against Georgia, maybe there is an outside shot of qualification

To retain a chance for that, they need to finish no worse than 3rd in the Group A. Then in the QF they face the second of Group B (most probably the Russians), and if they manage to do that, they move to the 3rd place game (after losing to Montenegro in the semifinals). But that game will be exceedingly tough, as one of the 3 big teams (Croatia, Montenegro, Greece) will be there too. Greece might be the most beatable.

PS. this assumes that every match in the group stage ends according to expectations , e.g. Montenegro=1A, Greece=2A, Croatia=1B, Russia=2B

1 minute ago, dharang said:

To retain a chance for that, they need to finish no worse than 3rd in the Group A. Then they face the second of Group B (most probably the Russians), and if they manage to do that, they move to the 3rd place game (after losing to Montenegro in the semifinals). But that game will be exceedingly tough, as one of the 3 big teams (Croatia, Montenegro, Greece) will be there too. Greece might be the most beatable.

PS. this assumes that every match in the group stage ends according to expectations , e.g. Montenegro=1A, Greece=2A, Croatia=1B, Russia=2B

We beat Montenegro 12-7 last month in the World League qualification final...

7 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

We beat Montenegro 12-7 last month in the World League qualification final...

In that case (i.e. Greece=1A, Montenegro=2B), it will be most probably Croatia v. Montenegro in one of the semifinals, and Greece v. 3A/2B (might be Canada or Russia) in the other. Then either CRO or MNE will be in 3rd place game.