website statistics

Weightlifting at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

No, commentators, Abdullah is not a complete shock :p 

Surprising, sure, but mostly weird he was in the B group at all (entry weights I guess?). Given his recent results and age, one might have expected a great performance.

Well his coach projected him to be 5th-8th, I’ll try asking the reason behind sudden increase to 190 kg lift.

8 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Well his coach projected him to be 5th-8th

Me too :d But with the gaps behind Shi being pretty small, so anything possible..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Andreev admitted his head wasn't in the right place after the competition. His coach's daughter had passed away 10 days ago from cancer and Andreev was living in their house for years and he took it very hard. Still he said, that he should have lifted that 190, since he has done it many times before.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

No, commentators, Abdullah is not a complete shock :p 

Surprising, sure, but mostly weird he was in the B group at all (entry weights I guess?). Given his recent results and age, one might have expected a great performance.

sometimes it's intentional. some weightlifters fail under pressure so their coaches put them in Group B to simply lift whatever they can without being worried about anything else. it happened few times before.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

sometimes it's intentional. some weightlifters fail under pressure so their coaches put them in Group B to simply lift whatever they can without being worried about anything else. it happened few times before.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea especially for a young lifter...and well, it did work :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Doesn't seem like a bad idea especially for a young lifter...and well, it did work :p 

that's a double headed sword, with this you give your opponents a very good idea of what exactly they have to lift to beat you.

I have a feeling Calja (ALB) had no idea about Group B, he was "happy" after his last lift which would only secure him a 4th place finish. he only needed 2kg more for the bronze. any normal person with a normal brain would try 2kg more to win a medal (unless he knows something about one of these 3 guys will fail a drug test later :p)

people are different, Iranian coaches try their best to register an entry to put all of our weightlifters in Group A, because they usually lift very very unmotivated and very poor when they are in Group B. we even had our Olympic Champion withdrawing from a World Championship (back in 2003) as a sign of protest because he was pissed off his coach for not registering a better entry.

and you know if you register a high entry that will also put your weightlifter in risk of bombing out. your first attempts can't be 20kg lower than your entry.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I have a feeling Calja (ALB) had no idea about Group B, he was "happy" after his last lift which would only secure him a 4th place finish. he only needed 2kg more for the bronze. any normal person with a normal brain would try 2kg more to win a medal (unless he knows something about one of these 3 guys will fail a drug test later :p)

I was wondering about this as well....but surely a coach would at the very least check the B group results?! That takes 10 seconds or so to do, even if I was Talakhadze's coach or something I'd take a quick look at the results of a B group just to not be only 99.999% but 100% sure about if there is some weird danger there :d 

It would be such an insane blunder if Albania's coach wasn't aware of Abdullah...

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I was wondering about this as well....but surely a coach would at the very least check the B group results?! That takes 10 seconds or so to do, even if I was Talakhadze's coach or something I'd take a quick look at the results of a B group just to not be only 99.999% but 100% sure about if there is some weird danger there :d 

It would be such an insane blunder if Albania's coach wasn't aware of Abdullah...

They show top 3 from B group on the big screen in the stadium. you don't have to check anywhere else for that. and on that screen they show the current rank of everybody. I mean if you want to beat the 3rd guy (to win the bronze) you can find who is 3rd on that big scoreboard. so it's really hard to miss Group B results.

but still it looked like they didn't know. it just doesn't make sense to lift 1kg below the bronze medal result and be happy about it!