website statistics

Speed Skating ISU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

28 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Good thing van der Poel isn't a Russian or else we'd have instant doping allegations :evil:

Why? Also it would be absurd to consider his performance suspicious.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

1. Ingebrigtsen family and Warholm isn't exactly depth by international standards. Same as having Hattestad and Rodal in the 90s.

2. Yeah, two amazing players in the whole country. Just because half of Europe can qualify to Euro finals these days it doesn't mean anything - and Norway actually failed to qualify to begin with :p

3. Ireland has gaelic football & rugby and Belgium has cross cycling at the very least. Also motor racing/ motocross in Belgium which doesn't qualify under any Olympic standards.

1) There is a difference between having no depth and being non-existent (which is what you said). Also they have other good athletes (Hynne, Moen, Grovdal, Henriksen, Guttormsen). Norway could realistically win as many medals at the Olympics as Poland and more medals than France.

2) It is difficult to develope 2 world-class players, they have more/as many world-class players than Poland/ItalyTurkey/Russia/Nigeria/Mexico/Colombia/Chile. We will see how they will do in the future once Haaland and Ödegaard are more mature.

3) Not sure if you are kidding ... you mostly named joke sports. Norway also is good in handball (which is probably the 4th or 5th most popular summer team sport) and chess ... 

It is obvious that Norway can’t have the same depth as bigger nations, but they are amazing at developing special talents.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) There is a difference between having no depth and being non-existent (which is what you said). Also they have other good athletes (Hynne, Moen, Grovdal, Henriksen, Guttormsen). Norway could realistically win as many medals at the Olympics as Poland and more medals than France.

2) It is difficult to develope 2 world-class players, they have more/as many world-class players than Poland/ItalyTurkey/Russia/Nigeria/Mexico/Colombia/Chile. We will see how they will do in the future once Haaland and Ödegaard are more mature.

3) Not sure if you are kidding ... you mostly named joke sports. Norway also is good in handball (which is probably the 4th or 5th most popular summer team sport) and chess ... 

It is obvious that Norway can’t have the same depth as bigger nations, but they are amazing at developing special talents.

You wanted to know why Norway developed speed skaters lately (unlike Germany) to begin with. I suppose you wandered so much in trying to prove me wrong you forgot what I was originally responding to :p I'm impressed you managed to feature Nigeria in a thread about speed skating ;)

I'm not an adept memer, but this whole rise of Nyls van der Poel makes me think of the Doofenschmirz meme:

If I had a nickel for every Van der Poel that is a freak of nature in endurance sports, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2021 at 16:36, Monzanator said:

Good thing van der Poel isn't a Russian or else we'd have instant doping allegations :evil:

I just heard that Pichler was involved in „developing“ him. I think this is all the proof one needs.

On 14/02/2021 at 17:31, Monzanator said:

You wanted to know why Norway developed speed skaters lately (unlike Germany) to begin with. I suppose you wandered so much in trying to prove me wrong you forgot what I was originally responding to :p I'm impressed you managed to feature Nigeria in a thread about speed skating ;)

a) Sorry, not sure what you are trying to say.

b) I don’t wonder why Norway is able to develop world class speed skaters unlike Germany. Germany doesn’t develop world class speed skaters because they don’t want to and they don’t want to, because thanks to the GDR past German coaches are too „scared“ to develop a doping program. Other nations don’t have that „baggage“.