website statistics

Speed Skating ISU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

And the final distances of the tournament. There have been no international competitions on the 5k and 10k yet this season, so this should be interesting.

Women's 5.000m:

1. :CZE Martina Sáblíková
  2. :RUS Natalia Voronina
  3. :NED Irene Schouten
  4. :CAN Isabelle Weidemann
  5. :NED Carlijn Achtereekte
  6. :BLR Marina Zueva
  7. :GER Claudia Pechstein (unless her back still bothers her, then she'll finish last)
  8. :CAN Valerie Maltais
  9. :KAZ Nadezhda Morozova
  10. :NOR Ragne Wiklund
  11. :ITA Francesca Lollobrigida
  12. :RUS Anastasiya Grigoreva (weird choice when you have skaters like Sokhryakova/Lalenkova/Golubeva)

Men's 10.000m:

1. :SWE Nils van der Poel
  2. :NED Patrick Roest
  3. :NED Jorrit Bergsma
  4. :GER Patrick Beckert
  5. :CAN Ted-Jan Bloemen
  6. :RUS Alexander Rumyantsev
  7. :ITA Davide Ghiotto
  8. :FRA Timothy Loubineaud
  9. :RUS Ruslan Zakharov (no Semerikov?)
  10. :NZL Peter Michael
  11. :CAN Jordan Belchos
  12. :ITA Michele Malfatti (I would have expected Tumolero here)

Tomorrow the last day of the championships :cry: and also of the speedskating season.

My predictions:

1500 women - Brittany Bowe :USA for sure, she is so much better than the rest at the moment (with the exception of Takagi from Japan)

1500 men - Patrick Roest :NED hopefully for him finally his first individual WC-medal, the harsh conditions are in his favor

5000 women - Martina Sablikova :CZE still the best on the longest distance

10000 men - Nils van der Poel :SWE 

5 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I would like to know how Norway manages to develope so many great athletes. Speed skating isn’t exactly the most popular sport over there and still they produce tons of great talents while Germany hasn’t developed any in a long time. I get that most kids in Germany don’t care about speed skating, but the same is true in Norway and still they develope tons of talents despite having a much smaller population.

Norway is non-existent in traditionally popular sports in Europe - football or athletics to begin with. Hell, Norway is non-existent in any summer sports barring some one-hit wonders like the Ingebrigtsen siblings or Hattestad. Handball might be the only exception. Their most successful Summer OG sport is... sailing (I'd have never guessed that w/o checking) :p  Second best is shooting. I don't know any country in Europe that can say sailing & shooting are their best "summer" sports :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Dennis said:

So are Brittany Bowe and Martina Sablikova for example, who are both older than Fatkulina. :dunno:

Yeah, but sprinters are more vulnerable with age? Erbanova retired way too early for whatever reason. Sablikova will be winning WCh medals until she's 40yo and Bowe probably keeps going until she wins an individual Olympic medal (while Richardson also retired prematurely). I imagine Leenstra was feeling the heat from Dutch competition and she was never a pure winner to begin with. Always behind someone's back.

Wow, insane 5k by Schouten :bowdown::hyper: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Norway is non-existent in traditionally popular sports in Europe - football or athletics to begin with. Hell, Norway is non-existent in any summer sports barring some one-hit wonders like the Ingebrigtsen siblings or Hattestad. Handball might be the only exception. Their most successful Summer OG sport is... sailing (I'd have never guessed that w/o checking) :p  Second best is shooting. I don't know any country in Europe that can say sailing & shooting are their best "summer" sports :dunno:

1) Norway non-existent in athletics?

2) Norway has 2 amazing football players, I think they could qualify for some tournaments in the future. Also i think it is difficult to be good at football when you can barely ever play it outside ... (although Iceland has done an amazing job)

3) There are a lot of other „comparable“ countries that aren’t (much) better than Norway while being much worse in winter sports (Portugal, Israel, Ireland, Singapore, Belgium, Greece). I think for their size Norway is actually doing a good job in summer sports.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

40 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, but sprinters are more vulnerable with age? Erbanova retired way too early for whatever reason. Sablikova will be winning WCh medals until she's 40yo and Bowe probably keeps going until she wins an individual Olympic medal (while Richardson also retired prematurely). I imagine Leenstra was feeling the heat from Dutch competition and she was never a pure winner to begin with. Always behind someone's back.

To some extent. However, Nao Kodaira will also turn 35 this year. Jenny Wolf was also still world class at age 35 and skated her personal records on the 500m and 1.000m when she was 30+. What Fatkulina is doing here is impressive, but not exceptional.