website statistics

Speed Skating ISU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

The ISU president obviously tries his best not to promote this sport. Who thought that it would be a good idea to have this event at the same time as the biathlon/alpine skiing world championships? That’s like having the field hockey World Cup at the same time as the football World Cup. The only ones who will probably watch it are the Dutch.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

25 minutes ago, rybak said:

I missed today races :facepalm: Did anyone know if someone from our men's team falled? It can be only one reason why they finished 40 seconds behind first Netherlands.

Yep, one fell. Can’t remember which one though. 

21 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

@CCB how did you know that??? ;-)))

Please don't share your tips for next events with us - YOU WILL SPOIL ALL THE FUN !!! ;-)

I'm joking, ofc ;-)

Well @rafalgorka, after my predictions for today it turned out that I'm only human ;-). I only predicted Golikova correctly. She skated a superb 500 meter, although she really was really lucky to be able to take advantage of her opponent at the intersection. Kok finished in the outside lane and could never profit from her opponent. But hey, Golikova deserved the win for sure.

The teampursuit was really close. Both winning teams know that Japan would have won, if they had participated. I think therefore the joy was not so great.

For tomorrow my predictions:

Mass start men: Bart Swings :BEL 

Mass start women: Irene Schouten :NED , if the Canadian ladies don't deliberately bother her again.

1000 men: Pawel Kulizhnikov :RUS 

1000 women: Brittany Bowe :USA . Very sure about this one, she has the ultimate draw. Inside finish against her biggest opponent, Jutta Leerdam.

My predictions for today, starting with the mass start:

Men:

1. :NED Arjan Stroetinga (surprising everyone)
  2. :BEL Bart Swings
  3. :SUI Livio Wenger
  4. :NED Jorrit Bergsma
  5. :ITA Andrea Giovannini
  6. :CAN Jordan Belchos
  7. :USA Joey Mantia
  8. :LAT Haralds Silovs
  9. :NZL Peter Michael
  10. :DEN Stefan Due Schmidt

Women:

1. :NED Irene Schouten
  2. :CAN Ivanie Blondin
  3. :RUS Elizaveta Golubeva
  4. :NED Marijke Groenewoud
  5. :ITA Linda Rossi
  6. :ITA Francesca Lollobrigida
  7. :POL Karolina Bosiek
  8. :GER Claudia Pechstein
  9. :BLR Marina Zueva
  10. :GER Mareike Thum

And predictions for the 1.000m:

Men:

1. :NED 1:07,76 - Thomas Krol
  2. :NED 1:07,86 - Kai Verbij
  3. :RUS 1:08,24 - Pavel Kulizhnikov
  4. :CAN 1:08,69 - Laurent Dubreuil
  5. :NED 1:08,73 - Wesly Dijs
  6. :GER 1:08,73 - Joel Dufter
  7. :BLR 1:09,01 - Ignat Golovatsiuk
  8. :NOR 1:09,07 - Håvard Holmefjord Lorentzen
  9. :EST 1:09,25 - Marten Liiv
  10. :RUS 1:09,36 - Viktor Mushtakov
  11. :GER 1:09,58 - Nico Ihle
  12. :POL 1:09,70 - Piotr Michalski
  13. :CAN 1:09,78 - Connor Howe
  14. :ITA 1:09,87 - David Bosa
  15. :RUS 1:09,91 - Ruslan Murashov
  16. :NOR 1:09,95 - Odin By Farstad
  17. :POL 1:10,26 - Artur Nogal
  18. :KAZ 1:10,28 - Roman Krech
  19. :GBR 1:10,46 - Cornelius Kersten
  20. :KAZ 1:10,60 - Artur Galiyev
  21. :USA 1:10,67 - Conor McDermott-Mostowy
  22. :KAZ 1:10,80 - Demyan Gavrilov
  23. :NOR 1:11,15 - Peder Kongshaug
  24. :CAN 1:11,15 - Alex Boisvert-Lacroix

Women:

1. :NED 1:13,92 - Jutta Leerdam
  2. :USA 1:14,05 - Brittany Bowe
  3. :NED 1:14,23 - Jorien ter Mors
  4. :RUS 1:14,72 - Angelina Golikova
  5. :RUS 1:14,84 - Olga Fatkulina
  6. :NED 1:15,00 - Suzanne Schulting
  7. :RUS 1:15,39 - Elizaveta Golubeva
  8. :POL 1:15,50 - Natalia Czerwonka
  9. :KAZ 1:15,57 - Yekaterina Aydova
  10. :AUT 1:15,62 - Vanessa Herzog
  11. :CAN 1:16,29 - Heather McLean
  12. :CAN 1:16,40 - Kaylin Irvine
  13. :POL 1:16,52 - Karolina Bosiek
  14. :NOR 1:16,72 - Ida Njåtun
  15. :CZE 1:16,74 - Nikola Zdráhalová
  16. :BLR 1:17,15 - Hanna Nifantava
  17. :POL 1:17,15 - Kaja Ziomek
  18. :CAN 1:17,30 - Béatrice Lamarche
  19. :GER 1:17,81 - Katja Franzen
  20. :BLR 1:18,09 - Ekaterina Sloeva
  21. :GBR 1:18,93 - Ellia Smeding
  22. :GER 1:19,00 - Josephine Heimerl
  23. :BEL 1:19,42 - Stien Vanhoutte
  24. :GER 1:20,29 - Anna Ostlender

Bowe is the big favorite here based on the world cup races this season, but her laptime on the 500m was quite disappointing, whereas Leerdam surprised me positively. And Bowe quite often flops on big occassions when she is the big favorite, like she did at the World Championships last year.

Japan is not here, but they are currently skating in Nagano and some of the times skated there are ridiculously good, especially if you consider that the track in Nagano is slower than Heerenveen.

Miho Takagi skated 1:13,21 on the 1.000 metres and 1:52,78 on the 1.500 metres, which are the fastest times ever outside of Salt Lake City and Calgary. :yikes:

I would like to know how Norway manages to develope so many great athletes. Speed skating isn’t exactly the most popular sport over there and still they produce tons of great talents while Germany hasn’t developed any in a long time. I get that most kids in Germany don’t care about speed skating, but the same is true in Norway and still they develope tons of talents despite having a much smaller population.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I would like to know how Norway manages to develope so many great athletes. Speed skating isn’t exactly the most popular sport over there and still they produce tons of great talents while Germany hasn’t developed any in a long time. I get that most kids in Germany don’t care about speed skating, but the same is true in Norway and still they develope tons of talents despite having a much smaller population.

There's a lot of potential in Germany, but the development of skaters has been very poor in recent years. Claudia Pechstein's husband has a lot of power within the German federation and keeps making poor decisions. One example: https://www.sportschau.de/wintersport/eisschnelllauf/eisschnelllauf-vertrag-mit-sprinttrainer-nicht-verlaengert100.html

However, despite the poor developments in German speedskating, there are some talents coming through. The top juniors are a bit unlucky that there is no Junior World Championships this year as f.e. Anna Ostlender would have been my favorite for the title on the 500m based on her times skated in recent months. Victoria Stirnemann, Emelie Vogelsang, Isabel Kraus, Maira Jasch and Sophie Warmuth are also solid talents with great potential. Norway doesn't have such talents coming through on the women's side (besides Ragne Wiklund). On the men's side, you have Felix Motschmann and Finn Sonnekalb, but yeah, Norway does have more talent there.

I think overall, the number of talents in Germany is more or less equal to the number of talented skaters in Norway, with Germany leading on the women's side and Norway on the men's side.

What helps Norway is that Norway has 41 different 400m ice rinks, whereas Germany has 10, including the tracks in Berlin-Wilmersdorf, Grefrath, Crimmitschau and München which are barely used anymore. In Norway there are competitions held on a weekly basis on most of the 41 tracks and talents are spotted in an early stage of their development.

Predictions for tomorrow:

Women's 1.500m:

1. :NED Antoinette de Jong
  2. :USA Brittany Bowe
  3. :NED Ireen Wüst
  4. :RUS Evgeniia Lalenkova
  5. :RUS Elizaveta Golubeva
  6. :POL Natalia Czerwonka
  7. :KAZ Nadezhda Morozova
  8. :NED Melissa Wijfje
  9. :NOR Ragne Wiklund
  10. :RUS Daria Kachanova
  11. :POL Karolina Bosiek
  12. :ITA Francesca Lollobrigida
  13. :CAN Valerie Maltais
  14. :NOR Ida Njåtun
  15. :CZE Nikola Zdráhalová
  16. :KAZ Yekaterina Aydova
  17. :BLR Ekaterina Sloeva
  18. :CAN Béatrice Lamarche
  19. :NOR Sofie Karoline Haugen
  20. :CAN Abigail McCluskey
  21. :BLR Tatsiana Mikhailava
  22. :GER Mareike Thum
  23. :BEL Sandrine Tas
  24. :ITA Linda Rossi

Again, Bowe is the favorite here, but De Jong is probably on a high after her first world individual world title, the title on the team pursuit, and I think the tougher conditions favour her.

Men's 1.500m:

1. :NED Thomas Krol
  2. :NED Patrick Roest
  3. :NED Kjeld Nuis
  4. :NOR Hallgeir Engebråten
  5. :NOR Sverre Lunde Pedersen
  6. :BEL Bart Swings
  7. :CAN Connor Howe
  8. :USA Joey Mantia
  9. :ITA Andrea Giovannini
  10. :RUS Sergey Trofimov
  11. :NOR Allan Dahl Johansson
  12. :KAZ Vitaliy Chshigolev
  13. :RUS Daniil Beliaev
  14. :AUT Gabriel Odor
  15. :KAZ Demyan Gavrilov
  16. :RUS Aleksandr Podolskii
  17. :POL Marcin Bachanek
  18. :KAZ Dmitry Morozov
  19. :BLR Victor Rudenko
  20. :USA Conor McDermott-Mostowy
  21. :GER Stefan Emele
  22. :USA Ethan Cepuran
  23. :GBR Cornelius Kersten
  24. :ITA Francesco Betti

Roest will benefit from the tough conditions, but not sure if he'll try to save some energy for the 10k where he has the best draw.