website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

I see people argue over the same thing again. Remember that better is the enemy of the good. If the milennials want to ruin biathlon with their "better ideas" and laser guns then they get no support from me. They have the brake dance crap at the Olympic already. Just leave the biathlon alone FFS.

9 hours ago, mrv86 said:

It was about time they race the same distance as men.

All very well in theory, but biathlon is about balancing shooting & skiing.  Since women are smaller & the rifle is the same, longer races just give even more of an advantage to the strong skiiers/weak shooters.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I see people argue over the same thing again. Remember that better is the enemy of the good. If the milennials want to ruin biathlon with their "better ideas" and laser guns then they get no support from me. They have the brake dance crap at the Olympic already. Just leave the biathlon alone FFS.

Even modern pentathlon was better when they had to load physical lead pellets, because it was harder to do than just recocking.

I think Shooting won‘t be that important today than for example last year in Antholz. The 2.5k is really hard, the best skiers could at least take 10 seconds per loops on not such fast skiers. We saw it last year at the World Cup, the Fields were really splitted in skiing times. 

For some nations it could be an advantage that the women race last. I think of Sweden, Germany, Italy ... and in this Order maybe Norway have a little disadvantage.

French could the Norwegians dangerous in this combination, but they had two disasters at the mixed relay at the last two world champs and chevalier not looked good at the test races. She will be the key, Simon could be really dangerous at this course profile for Roeiseland.

For some in our country it is interesting, why Fak and Bauer compete today and not our youngsters. Jakov said he would like to compete to get some vibes before important races. I would be very pleased if our men ended at least in top 10 less than a minute behind and our girls finish without getting lapped.

So, fingers crossed, going for top 15. 

14 hours ago, justony said:

I think they always turn around at WCH, just so they make it different, I guess. ?

At least the last two times it was women - men, didn't bother to check further :p 

To be honest, I like when they mix the order up. As far as I'm concerned, mixed relays at the highest level (so WC, WCH and OG) should always be women - men followed by men - women - followed by women - men and so on. Not much about equality, it's just more fair to have a roughly 50/50 balance in the order in an event where things like final sprints are a thing - and so always having the same order always benefits countries who have stronger men/women (depending on who's always last).

The exact distances have changed quite often recently if I'm not mistaken, it seems like they've been trying it out for a while now. I'm fairly sure I've seen mixed relays with equal distances before.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

In World Champs history it is the First Time that the Men Start. Next year at the olympics it will be a 4x6km Mixed Relay (W+M) again so maybe in Oberhof 23 the Men First again.

The same distances they run since last season.