website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

hckošice

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

German's women "team" is Weidle & Duerr :p  Martina Ertl could probably make the 2021 Giant Slalom team if she wanted :evil:

How the hell would Ertl make the team? Germany didn’t nominate anyone in giant slalom, because they have pretty strict standards. In order to make the team Ertl would have to be good enough to regularly make top 30, which is completely unrealistic.

Most nations have the same problem. USA has Shiffrin and Johnson, Norway has Lysdahl and Lie, Slovakia only has Vlhova, Canada has Gagnon, Slovenia has Stuhec and Hrovat, Sweden has Hector, Finland has no one, France has Worley. The only nations with any depth are Austria, Switzerland and Italy. I am not saying that Germany has great depth, but that it is unrealistic to expect Germany to have great depth and that Germany basically never had great depth, except for a short exception in (giant) slalom. Meanwhile the men’s speed team is easily the best it has ever been.

In General one of the biggest problems of Germany seems to be the transition from juniors to seniors. Juniors don’t have enough „patience“ and retire, which leads to many great juniors never amounting to anything at senior level. This isn’t really a sports problem, but more of a political problem. You would have to find a way so that young people can stick around longer while still building a career.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

How the hell would Ertl make the team? Germany didn’t nominate anyone in giant slalom, because they have pretty strict standards. In order to make the team Ertl would have to be good enough to regularly make top 30, which is completely unrealistic.

Most nations have the same problem. USA has Shiffrin and Johnson, Norway has Lysdahl and Lie, Slovakia only has Vlhova, Canada has Gagnon, Slovenia has Stuhec and Hrovat, Sweden has Hector, Finland has no one, France has Worley. The only nations with any depth are Austria, Switzerland and Italy. I am not saying that Germany has great depth, but that it is unrealistic to expect Germany to have great depth and that Germany basically never had great depth, except for a short exception in (giant) slalom. Meanwhile the men’s speed team is easily the best it has ever been.

Most teams have regressed over the last 10+ years, it more or less started with French women's speed team, then Canadians went off the boil and hell, Austria has the worst depth on the women's side since I started watching alpine skiing. I believe the sport has gotten too expensive overall and even the traditional nations don't want to spend that much money anymore. USA & Canada have drifted into big success in freestyle skiing and quite frankly Germany is doing better in snowboard than alpine skiing as well. The rise of freestyle skiing in the last decade or so has shallowed the talent pool for alpine skiing IMO.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Cortina doesn't host GS races on World Cup so I can't really say that Bassino is looking vulnerable? :mumble:

it's because of the slope...it's the same final part of the Tofana track...it's basically flat and our girls have always been in trouble when skiing on flat courses...

I think Shiffrin and the Swiss girls (Gut and Gisin) are the true favourite here with Bassino and Worley only in the outsider's role despite being the 2 best GS skiers in the world by far...

meanwhile I don't know what to think about Vlhova...this year she doesn't look too good in GS, it looks she has more chances to win gold in slalom and alpine combined...

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's because of the slope...it's the same final part of the Tofana track...it's basically flat and our girls have always been in trouble when skiing on flat courses...

I think Shiffrin and the Swiss girls (Gut and Gisin) are the true favourite here with Bassino and Worley only in the outsider's role despite being the 2 best GS skiers in the world by far...

meanwhile I don't know what to think about Vlhova...this year she doesn't look too good in GS, it looks she has more chances to win gold in slalom and alpine combined...

It seems to be a long Giant Slalom as well. 1:12 in 2010 per run ... If it is flat you can Worley rule out, you are right.

W Alpine Combined Start List https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&raceid=104424

Super-G (09:45) Slalom (14:10) CET

M Alpine Combined Start List https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&raceid=104428

Super-G (11:15) Slalom (15:20) CET

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Two errors for Bassino in Super G and that looks like another bad day for the hosts unless Brignone takes a different line on the top.

Brignone was much better, but her Slalom skills are not that great. I think she need at least 0.8 seconds for the slalom to Shiffrin, Vlhova, Gisin and Holdener.