website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

This is a real sad one (at least for me)

:FRA Benjamin Auffret, Diving, announced his retirement last week.

I was hoping for him to get a medal in Tokyo after being so close in Rio.

Sadly, this also means the French delegation will likely have one less athlete in Tokyo, as he was his only diver in platform since Rio, unless the federation decides to send some inexperienced replacement. 

38 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

This is a real sad one (at least for me)

:FRA Benjamin Auffret, Diving, announced his retirement last week.

I was hoping for him to get a medal in Tokyo after being so close in Rio.

Sadly, this also means the French delegation will likely have one less athlete in Tokyo, as he was his only diver in platform since Rio, unless the federation decides to send some inexperienced replacement. 

Benjamin Auffret to announce his retirement following major back problems, Matthieu Rosset returned from his retirement (practices the 3m springboard) to try to qualify on the high-flight at 10m, but I don't think there is will happen, and concerning France I had hoped for 3 quotas but it seems impossible

45 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

:CZE Barbora Strycova (tennis) announced her retirement. She is also pregnant ;)

Yes, a little sad for us but we respect that. Anyways, she said that she will not return back on the courts but on the other hand she would like to have a Wimbledon fairwell. So maybe something may happen in All England Club either this or next year :-)

• 2 weeks later...

:ITA Petra Zublasing, shooting...

she did never recover from the 4th place in Rio and started to folow different interests in the last few years, so her recent results never matched the past ones and so she decided to give up professional shooting...

as she's only 32, maybe she's gonna make up her minds in the next few years, but tbh, I don't think it's gonna happen (it was the same for her lifemate Niccolò Campriani, after he stopped his career after Rio 2016 at about the same age)...

• 3 weeks later...

Mahe Drysdale :NZL (Rowing, Single Sculls) 2x Gold and 1x Bronze Olympic Medallist including 5 golds and 3 Silvers at the Rowing World Champs all in Single Sculls has officially retired as of today. One of the greatest single oarsman to have ever competed in history. Father time has caught up with him.

:GRE Kalliopi Araouzou (swimming)

Not a big surprise because she was at the European Championships as a board member of the Greek swimming federation and not as an athlete, but she still competed until today which was her last race at the National Championships. She also struggled with injuries the past few years.

I honestly thought she would try to qualify in open water for Tokyo but I guess not. She competed in Rio in that event and finished 11th. That was her only Olympic appearance. She had two World Championship medals in open water (silver in team from 2013 and silver in 5km from 2015). She was a big part of Greek women's swimming (which the level is already quite low) for the past decade, and it's surprising that she only managed to go to the Olympics once.

She also had OST for Tokyo in 800 and 1500 freestyle but I guess she's not going to try to see if she'll get in or not. In 1500, OQT is 16:32.04 and OST is 17:01.80. She has 16:34.49 from 2019 so she was really close. Maybe she knew that there wouldn't be a spot for her in Tokyo via OST because so many people already achieved OQT in her event (I'm not too familiar with swimming qualifying procedures).

Greek women's swimming is really dead. We had 7 athletes in Beijing, 6 in London, 4 in Rio and now probably just 2 in Tokyo :cry: