website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

4 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

wow, i thought he was earlier retired

I thought he retired like 6-7 years ago :d 

Maybe because that's when I went to Netherlands - Brazil with my Brazilian now ex-girlfriend and she taught me a lot about the likes of Dante Amaral and Bernardinho and how they are so famous in Brazil, but after that I never heard anything about them anymore (ok, that's easy when you don't really follow volleyball..).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I thought he retired like 6-7 years ago :d 

Maybe because that's when I went to Netherlands - Brazil with my Brazilian now ex-girlfriend and she taught me a lot about the likes of Dante Amaral and Bernardinho and how they are so famous in Brazil, but after that I never heard anything about them anymore (ok, that's easy when you don't really follow volleyball..).

Most volleyball players still play for years in our nation league after leaving the national team, that's why we don't hear a lot about them. For instance, Fofao (Hélia Souza) left the NT after the gold in 2008, but played until 2015 for the Rio team - the same team that, to this date, has in its roster the libero Fabi Oliveira (which left the NT after the 2012 gold). I think that's also the case with Dante, who played until 2012 in the NT.

So it's kinda a common thing among the top players.

And this sad day unfortunately comes... Justyna Kowalczyk announced her retirement :cry: She will now compete only in very long "marathon" races as hobby. Thanks Justyna for everything what you did for Polish not only cross-country skiing but sport overall in recent 13 years :hatoff::bowdown: Sadly we don't have any good young or junior athletes in this sport for now, our future in cross-country is in dark colours...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!