website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

On 10/10/2021 at 11:42 PM, Grassmarket said:

Double blow for Irish cycling and indeed the Roche family, as both Nicholas Roche and his cousin Dan Martin have retired this month. Sam Bennett is left to fly the flag, as the younger cyclists like Eddie Dunbar haven't yet found their place after promising junior careers. 

Irish cycling won't really miss anything with Roche out of it (in terms of results), unless that'd happened five years ago. Martin still had something in the tank this year, so that's a shame.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Oskars Melbardis one of the most successful :LAT Winter Olympians and Latvian Bobsleigh legend.

29 minutes ago, Belle said:

:SWE Sweden

Pole Vaulter Angelica Bengtsson retires. Only 28 years old. She finished 13th in Tokyo. 

https://www.expressen.se/sport/friidrott/just-nu-bengtsson-avslutar-karriaren/

Well damn, that makes me feel old. I remember she was my favourite athlete when she won her second junior world title...no idea that was already that long ago :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Well damn, that makes me feel old. I remember she was my favourite athlete when she won her second junior world title...no idea that was already that long ago :yikes: 

I feel old too. I’m not surprised though. She had problems.