website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

5 hours ago, seb851 said:

Dara Howell, FreeSki Slopestyle-Big Air, 2014 Olympics Champion, 2013 2th place World Champioship and 4x Bronze Medal. She is official retired :( 

Dara Howell story is very sad ..

She really never got back to the level she was at in 2014, and frankly everyone just kept improving leaps and bounds.

10 hours ago, NearPup said:

She really never got back to the level she was at in 2014, and frankly everyone just kept improving leaps and bounds.

I don't agree, she had the level but it's more a problem of motivation and mental preparation. Freestyle Canada is one of the worst canadian federation in terms of athlete support ... many athletes ended their careers very early in the last Olympic cycle ...

:GRE Alkisti Avramidou and Christina Tsoukala (water polo)

Avramidou is 33 years old. She already retired from the Greek national team at 31.

Tsoukala is only 30 years old, played her last match with the national team at 29. 

Both girls played for Olympiacos and won Euro League this past year. Both girls were also part of the Greek national team which won gold at the 2011 World Championships as well as three silver medals at the European Championships (2010, 2012, 2018). Tsoukala was also at the 2008 Olympics as a 17 year old.

I don't think anyone ever expected Tsoukala to never return to the Olympics after making her debut at 17, but that's another discussion. Avramidou is possibly the best women's water polo player ever from any country to never go to the Olympics (for as long as it has been an Olympic sport). I thought Tsoukala would stick around until 2024 and definitely didn't think she'd end her club career too, so this is sad news. What a story it would've been to go back to the Olympics 16 years after Beijing. Oh well...

Also now everyone from our World Championships winning team 10 years ago is retired :cry:

:GRE Kostas Kaimakoglou (basketball)

He was a Euroleague champion, and national team member for many years. Won bronze at Eurobasket 2009. In total he was on two World Cup teams and four Eurobasket teams.

This is really the year of retirements for Greek basketball legends, everyone from that generation is gone. Spanoulis, Zisis, Perperoglou, Kaimakoglou and maybe I am forgetting 1-2 more.