website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

:CAN Kelita Zupancic, who would have qualified for Tokyo has retired. This also means Canada will not qualify for the team event, meaning only 9 nations are expected to compete in the debut of the event.

https://judocanada.org/2021/02/25/kelita-zupancic-turns-page-on-athletic-career-to-focus-on-new-projects/

• 2 weeks later...

I am so blindsided by Peiffer's retirement, it seems so unnecessary this year, right before the Olympics, plus Arnd even won a race this season and medalled in the championships, there's literally so many reasons to stay since he can still fight and add a medal or two before retirement.

Makes you wonder if this has something to do with the environment of the German team that's under fire right now due to lack of results. With Peiffer gone, Erik, Denise, Benedikt in their 30s, Germany might look like a dumpster fire if their juniors don't progress into top athletes in two years. 

19 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I am so blindsided by Peiffer's retirement, it seems so unnecessary this year, right before the Olympics, plus Arnd even won a race this season and medalled in the championships, there's literally so many reasons to stay since he can still fight and add a medal or two before retirement.

Makes you wonder if this has something to do with the environment of the German team that's under fire right now due to lack of results. With Peiffer gone, Erik, Denise, Benedikt in their 30s, Germany might look like a dumpster fire if their juniors don't progress into top athletes in two years. 

He said that the Olympics don’t motivate him because they aren’t about the athletes anymore. Also I don’t think that the atmosphere in China would have been great for biathlon. You are quite right about the German future. On the men’s side there are some nice talents, but on the women’s side the only good talent is Grotian (born in 2004).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, rybak said:

:GER Arnd Peiffer (biathlon) announced retirement today :(

Oh no... that's no good news for the German team right before the Olympics. 2022 will be the last chance for the German team to shine a bit before there will be many many years in mediocrity.

Personally, he was my favorite German winter athlete as he is one of very very few athletes coming from Northern Germany (the federal state of Lower Saxony, to be precise ;-)) and the only one of them who is absolutely World class (besides bobsleigh brakeman Thorsten Margis). AND he is a very nice and reflected dude. Hopefully, he will join the coaching team one day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NMQ said:

Jennifer Dahlgren, women´s hammer throw. A 4 time olympian and a consistent presence for Argentina in athletics, even though she could never perform well in big tournaments.

And one of the most enthusiastic among the Argentinian delegation at Guadalajara 2011 PanAm Games.

I remember chatting with her and a couple other athletes during Men's Hockey final, and then she along same companions plus some others, were really partying after the Closing Ceremony.