website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

Have athletes in your countries said anything about the organization and such in China? Yesterday I saw an interview with Dutch skier Adriana Jelinkova, who said she had never been so lost in her life as she was on the way to some place to train :p 

"The organization is.....not so great, to be honest. It's all super confusing and every direction you're pointed in and every thing you are supposed to do conflicts with other things the next person says. You have to go there, but when you're 'there', you have to go somewhere else, and so on. And also, basically nobody related to the organization or something speaks any English at all, so that doesn't help. At least they seem friendly.."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Have athletes in your countries said anything about the organization and such in China? Yesterday I saw an interview with Dutch skier Adriana Jelinkova, who said she had never been so lost in her life as she was on the way to some place to train :p 

"The organization is.....not so great, to be honest. It's all super confusing and every direction you're pointed in and every thing you are supposed to do conflicts with other things the next person says. You have to go there, but when you're 'there', you have to go somewhere else, and so on. And also, basically nobody related to the organization or something speaks any English at all, so that doesn't help. At least they seem friendly.."

I thought there's a draconian banned imposed to the athletes from saying negative things about China as reported by western media. :mumble:What is the truth?

31 minutes ago, opruh said:

I thought there's a draconian banned imposed to the athletes from saying negative things about China as reported by western media. :mumble:What is the truth?

Political things about China, I would guess :p 

You know, just be smart and don't go around the Olympic village and journalists saying anything about Uyghurs and Hong Kong and Taiwan Chinese Taipei and whatnot.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nothing so far from our team, everything works well apparently, but we have only a couple of athletes and their staff in Beijing now.

but in :CZE sites  I read some funny satements of their chef de mission :p

https://www.idnes.cz/oh/peking-2022/cesky-olympijsky-tym-cesta-do-pekingu.A220126_171322_olympiada-peking-2022_ald

Spoiler

„Doprava zatím moc nefunguje, ale podobné problémy byly podle pamětníků i před letními hrami v roce 2008, než se vše rozběhlo,“ říká Doktor. „Tehdy také jeli na hodinu vzdálené místo šest hodin, protože řidič se ztratil. Zato uzavřená olympijská bublina tady funguje dokonale, mimo ni se opravdu nikdo nedostane.“

Česká výprava dostala k ruce rovněž čínské asistenty. Doktor si pochvaluje, že většina z nich umí anglicky a jsou velmi snaživí.
„Jen se musíme srovnat s tím, že je tu jiná kultura. Když jednomu z nich řeknete, že má jít zkontrolovat pokoj, jestli už je tam opravené okno, tak se jich sebere pět a jdou ho zkontrolovat v pěti.“

"Transportation doesn't work very well yet, but it was said there were similar problems before the 2008 Summer Games as well before everything started," says Martin Doktor. "At that time, they also drove six hours to a place distant one hour :p, because the driver was lost. The closed Olympic bubble, on the other hand, works perfectly here, and no one really gets outside. ” The Czech expedition also received Chinese assistants. Martin Doktor praises that most of them speak English and are very diligent. "We just have to come to terms with the fact that there is a different culture. If you tell one of them to go check the room to see if there is a repaired window, for some reason all five will go check it together. " :lol:

but really, it looks for now everything is perfectly prepared, lets just hope the covid will not destroy this wonderful sport holiday we are all waiting for

8 minutes ago, hckošice said:

The closed Olympic bubble, on the other hand, works perfectly here, and no one really gets outside.

This is something I heard from the temporary chef de mission (the real one tested positive and travels later) of the Dutch team as well, I must say! He said the overall feeling in terms of the bubble is very safe and tight, which considering the circumstances is excellent.

First Beijing 2022 Birthday "celebration" in our team today. Our sole female Luge representative at the Games Katarína Šimoňáková celebrated her birthday by exploring and memorizing the Olympic sliding center, Tomorrow starts the first unofficial trainings

Fun fact one of the other birthday guys in Beijing is Šimon Nemec who will have 18 yeasr the day of the Ice Hockey Round of 16, would be great if he´ll celebrate it with some good outcome on the ice + will be fun to see, 2 days before playing against :LAT  with the U18 mandatory facemask and then finally playing his first careers match without facemask right in the Last 16 round at the Olympics the day of his birthday.:d

Happy Birthday Katka

272950323_363702755755148_34535153188792

272963899_363710885754335_15222481662991

8 minutes ago, hckošice said:

U18 mandatory facemask and then finally playing his first careers match without facemask

Huh what, athletes under 18 need to wear a face mask while playing and older athletes don't or what? :d 

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Huh what, athletes under 18 need to wear a face mask while playing and older athletes don't or what? :d 

yes, U-18 players must wear a full-face protection mask, meanwhile those above that limit can wear the traditional mask with only a visor to protect the eyes...

I don't know if the rule is still in place, but until a short while ago, those who were already 18 before the introduction of the mandatory mask with visor, could play even without that visor, only with a helmet covering the head...

in the NHL, the rule was extended also to the chance to play without a helmet for those players who started to play in that league before the mandatory mask was established...however, nowadays there are no more players with that privilege...

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Yes, every U18 ice hockey player must wear a special facemask protection during the match (mandatory in every country controlled by IIHF or NHL) The day of your 18 birthday you are allowed to play without it. which is obviously the goal and special day of every ice hockey player on the planet :d

So when you will watch a mens ice hockey match and you´ll spot guy(s) wearing this, they are U18

210421svk_lat_2_2_1775824.jpg

cut.jpg

Wait, ice hockey mask, right. That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking, sorry :facepalm:

Spoiler

MedicalFaceMask2.jpg