website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

10 minutes ago, rajiv said:

I also sorta remember Greece investigating whether to field ( field ) hockey teams in Athens by checking out the Greek diaspora in hockey playing nations . They didn't participate so I guess they  couldn't find enough Greek passport qualified hockey players 

This is more similar to China in ice hockey than the British basketball teams for example. They at least were a tiny bit competitive sometimes (not greatly, but they were not destroyed in every match), which is just not at all the case for China in ice hockey, apparently.

Nobody wins if the host nation doesn't need to qualify and then is completely annihilated game after game...I hope they won't be.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Is this the first time that fans want to punish a team for not naturalizing enough foreign players? :p I don't think the IOC will or should intervene here, that would set a dangerous precedent, only China can choose to give up its quota. IIHF could have included a performance requirement in their qualification system, but once it's approved it's too late - private discussions with Chinese officials don't really matter. 

53 minutes ago, intoronto said:

From what I see, Aerials has only 11 nations and 7 team event entries, yikes.

China is missing from that list due to not competing last year, so it’s likely closer to 12 nations and 8 teams assuming you didn’t count China.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

China is missing from that list due to not competing last year, so it’s likely closer to 12 nations and 8 teams assuming you didn’t count China.

It doesn't include China. I think 7-9 teams is realistically what we could have expected anyway. Teams who are currently in position to qualify for team aerials are :BLR:CAN:KAZ:RUS:SUI:UKR:USA. The big missing piece other than China is Australia since they currently have no elite male jumper.

Canada currently has four athletes in qualifying position in all freestyle events, so as usual internal qualification will be brutal. Luckily the max number of athletes per country is 32 (up from 30 in 2018) so we are only looking at giving up eight quotas.

28 minutes ago, NearPup said:

It doesn't include China. I think 7-9 teams is realistically what we could have expected anyway. Teams who are currently in position to qualify for team aerials are :BLR:CAN:KAZ:RUS:SUI:UKR:USA. The big missing piece other than China is Australia since they currently have no elite male jumper.

Canada currently has four athletes in qualifying position in all freestyle events, so as usual internal qualification will be brutal. Luckily the max number of athletes per country is 32 (up from 30 in 2018) so we are only looking at giving up eight quotas.

I’m assuming some of the Slopestyle athletes can also compete in Big Air too. 

36 minutes ago, james89 said:

I’m assuming some of the Slopestyle athletes can also compete in Big Air too. 

Slopestyle athletes and big air athletes qualify from a combined ranking list - you either qualify for both events or neither.

7 hours ago, intoronto said:

FIS has released quota simulations for all disciplines.

Have fun! https://www.fis-ski.com/en/inside-fis/document-library/winter-olympic-games

From what I see, Aerials has only 11 nations and 7 team event entries, yikes.

Ah yeah, that was last week or so but I forgot to mention it, I was only focused on cross-country :d 

Curious if here we'll also see which nations rejects which quota.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 4 weeks later...