website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

2 minutes ago, opruh said:

Weak, if the USA wants their message heard, their athletes should boycott the game too along with their allies. This will make it easier for China to top the medal table again. :clap:

I really can't imagine Russia, err sorry, the athletes that are totally not from Russia, boycotting these Olympics unless something truly wild happens.

• 1 month later...

Much of the above applies to the women’s team, too, but there are a couple of major differences. First, the women aren’t as bad as the men in the world rankings, and the top end of the women’s game globally is less developed than the men’s game due to stunted professional development over the years, meaning that the difference is less pronounced.

Sure, the women's game might be less developed at the top and so the difference might be less pronounced, but doesn't that also work the other way? I mean, one might assume the world's number 19 in the women's game is relatively worse than the world's number 32 in the men's game.

Take something like football as an example, where in many national competitions the differences between the top and bottom in the men's game might be pretty significant, but not extreme, whereas in the women's game high scorelines appear way more often.

Edit: Ah right, the women's tournament has that weird thing with a 'strong group' and a 'weak group', that might save them a little...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sure, the women's game might be less developed at the top and so the difference might be less pronounced, but doesn't that also work the other way? I mean, one might assume the world's number 19 in the women's game is relatively worse than the world's number 32 in the men's game.

Take something like football as an example, where in many national competitions the differences between the top and bottom in the men's game might be pretty significant, but not extreme, whereas in the women's game high scorelines appear way more often.

Edit: Ah right, the women's tournament has that weird thing with a 'strong group' and a 'weak group', that might save them a little...

Chinese womens team is a Division I A-B regular team, certainly will lose all matches, but may pretty well be competitive in some matches and the scores should be more tight.

The mens Chinese team HAS NOTHING TO DO there, there just does not belong there, with NHLer in the tournament They will not be able to shoot a single puck on goal during the whole tournament. Obviously I am not going to say 100-0 will be the score, but :CAN is definitely not famous for puting in down after scoring plenty of goals, they usually run the score as fuck ! would be not surprised to see something like SVK-BUL Womens massacre of 2009. lol, McDavid himself can score 20 goals against these unfortunates... :USA in other hand is pretty famous of playing only the bare minimum against significantly weaker opponents, but still would destroy China by some 20 goals in safety mode. and not even going to speak about :GER led by Draisaitl lol

they stole this quota only thanks to the lobbying of their top officials. Li claimed to the IIHF that hockey is his favorite winter sport and he want both their teams to play in Beijing.

Sadly, for him, the players themselves and the country reputation, nobody explained to him that this will turn on huge humiliation.

6 minutes ago, NearPup said:

To me this really highlight how good of a job South Korea did getting their team ready for 2018.

South Korea was indeed working hard to prepare for the tournament, naturalizing 7-8 north americans and recruiting all famous players with korean ancestry like Jim Paek as coach. they had been showing a nice game for a few years before the tournament, they really tried to show that their host quota place was justified. they put a lot of money and will into it. I can not say a single bad word about them, even if now 2 years after, the whole work is gone, the popularity, interest and support of hockey totally evaporated there. 

But what is the most important. A year before the games they were a Division I A team which even qualified by merit to the Top division that year, in opposite China is struggling in far far lower divisions level