website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

6 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

Unless the problem is not enough vaccines for the affected country (in this case IOC should provide the neccessary vaccines free of charge for the athletes concerned) I dont see this as a problem. International sport was always hard to separate from politics, so in some cases accomodation should be made based on political consideration. But in case of antivaxxers, no such accommodation is neccessary, or indeed defensible.

The same way no international sports body takes the view of flat earthers into account. (The only defensible case is medical contraindication of the vaccine, and this is already provided for in the organizers' policy - see comment above)

It’s not the international bodies but some countries have Governments who are hardline opposed to vaccine mandates and might well make it impossible for their NOC to participate under these rules. 

3 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

Is the Sputnik-V authorized by Chinese authorities? B/c I know there is no WHO authorization (yet?). This has been a problem for those countries where this vaccine is in use (difficulty to travel abroad as it is unrecognized by many states, absent WHO authorization)

Possibly not but it’s the most common vaccine in Russia. China are not going to shut Russia out as they trying to build bridges with them. 

1 hour ago, pdr4332 said:

Is the Sputnik-V authorized by Chinese authorities? B/c I know there is no WHO authorization (yet?). This has been a problem for those countries where this vaccine is in use (difficulty to travel abroad as it is unrecognized by many states, absent WHO authorization)

Well I didn’t translate it accurately. It should be either authorized by WHO or the athlete’s own country.

• 2 weeks later...