website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 4:28 PM, dcro said:

Zero chance of having foreign spectators. They would basically have to allow it overnight and hope fans can get organized on short notice. No way.

I'd already be very positively surprised if we're going to see a decent number of Chinese spectators, it was barely a month ago since reports were convinced there would not be a single spectator and everything would be even way tighter and stricter than it was in Tokyo...these latest things sound very hopeful!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

It’s silly how they aren’t giving exemptions for athletes with natural immunity (which is stronger than vaccine immunity).

I think it’s just easier for the USOPC to make it an all team policy. That way there’s no “how come they don’t have to,” or “they didn’t get it so neither did I.” That’s my guess anyways.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

USOPC joins the list of NOCs requiring vaccination.

You can add Brazil to that list as well. They're making short lists of athletes who could qualify and one requirement to be on the short list is to be fully vaccinated. Not on the short list = not going to the Olympics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think it’s just easier for the USOPC to make it an all team policy. That way there’s no “how come they don’t have to,” or “they didn’t get it so neither did I.” That’s my guess anyways.

I agree with this.  I don't think it would be sensible to have a policy that said "you have to be vaccinated, unless you had COVID" because then you might have athletes who claim they had COVID to avoid getting the jab.  Especially since this seems to be a thing.. Are some NFL players using fake vaccination cards?

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

I agree with this.  I don't think it would be sensible to have a policy that said "you have to be vaccinated, unless you had COVID" because then you might have athletes who claim they had COVID to avoid getting the jab.  Especially since this seems to be a thing.. Are some NFL players using fake vaccination cards?

You can take a test to see if you have antibodies from COVID. Really simple stuff. If you can verify vaccines you can verify natural immunity.

Looks like the new IIHF president Luc Tardif has more balls than uncle oberfuhrer Rene.

Just two days after his election he threatened :CHN to be kicked out of the olympic tournament :p (if yes, will be then replaced by :NOR )

Luc Tardif:

This question really arises for the men's team, not for the women's team [...] There are going to be games for the China team that will be overseen by an IIHF official and a decision will be made afterwards [...] Watching a team being beaten 15-0 is not good for anyone, not for China or for ice hockey. [...] If it is not possible for China, we need a plan B and it will be (decided) by the 'ranking' of Norway.

Apparently China will have to play a quasi-qualifying match against an another national team during the October international break, and based on the result it will be decided whether they are fit to take part in the Olympics.