website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

21 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Still have to wait to see what effect the calls for boycott that keep growing in Canada and the USA have. The sponsors boycott movement could really affect the NHL if they get targeted for supporting the games. 

That's a big if.  There's only 5 months til the games, so I don't think their efforts will get organized in time to have a serious effect

I am still waiting to see China's roster. Some people say they may have many western naturalized players, some ppl say that still :CHN citizenship is hard to gain and China is a proud country to naturalize foreign players. Well, let's see. Anybody has any info about their most recent roster?

9 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I am still waiting to see China's roster. Some people say they may have many western naturalized players, some ppl say that still :CHN citizenship is hard to gain and China is a proud country to naturalize foreign players. Well, let's see. Anybody has any info about their most recent roster?

Rumors saying there exactly 4 (four) Chinese born players in the team, 17 north-american with Chinese heritage and 3 players without any connection to China other than their club team (Kunlun Red Star) which will be 99% of the :CHN team roster in Beijing.

IIHF already changed its naturalization policy, precisely because of this case, now you do not have to play 2 years in the country to being eligible, which means Jeremy Smith is already assured to be the Goaltender of China at the Olympics.

Here is the current Kunlun roster (you can imagine 95% of this team will play for China at the Olympics) https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0075992022.html

12 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Rumors saying there exactly 4 (four) Chinese born players in the team, 17 north-american with Chinese heritage and 3 players without any connection to China other than their club team (Kunlun Red Star) which will be 99% of the :CHN team roster in Beijing.

IIHF already changed its naturalization policy, precisely because of this case, now you do not have to play 2 years in the country to being eligible, which means Jeremy Smith is already assured to be the Goaltender of China at the Olympics.

Here is the current Kunlun roster (you can imagine 95% of this team will play for China at the Olympics) https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0075992022.html

Thanks a lot. But still, I watch ice hockey quite a lot and these fellas are still sort of no names for me and money other hockey fans. To be honest, as for national pride, I would still stick with only Chinese players. Just my personal opinion....... What do you think? @Vic Liu

4 hours ago, hckošice said:

will Italy be so stupid not to take advantage of that (and not call up all the NHL/AHL available players), as it happened in 2006 when we said the IIHF we didn't need such a favour?

Yes, I fear...:facepalm: :wall:

6 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

Thanks a lot. But still, I watch ice hockey quite a lot and these fellas are still sort of no names for me and money other hockey fans. To be honest, as for national pride, I would still stick with only Chinese players. Just my personal opinion....... What do you think? @Vic Liu

The process of naturalization is almost finished and there is almost no public hearings or interviews. Most Chinese fans are not aware of it at all so I don't know general opinion. For me, Chinese blood players are never with problems, East and Middle Asian players are not big problems since they also partially live in China. For typical non-Asian players, I personally don't encourage the naturalization but still acceptable if the amount is not too many in the team and 3 people is still reasonable for me. Below is the Kunlun Red Star team list with nationality showed. I presumed those with Chinese nationality will participate WOG.

https://en.khl.ru/clubs/kunlun/team/

Interesting point of view :phttps://chinasportsinsider.com/2021/09/05/confirmed-nhl-stars-set-to-play-at-2022-beijing-olympics/

However someone in a special hockey forum send the expected :CHN roster with current status, IIHF will soon officially inform about removing the 2 years play in a country to be able to represent rule, according to rumors...

Spoiler

Most players would appear to be eligible as long as they are given passports upon nomination, only four or so players have evident eligibility problems that the IIHF will kindly need to make go away:

GK
Alexander Lazushin (less than 16 consecutive months in China)
Paris O'Brien
Jeremy Smith (less than four consecutive years in China / Team USA)

D
Victor Bartley (less than four consecutive years in China / Team Canada)
Jake Chelios
Jason Fram
Colin Joe
Ryan Sproul
Mikaël Tam
Zach Yuen

F
Parker Foo
Spencer Foo
Sam Hu
Cory Kane
Luke Lockhart
Josh Nicholls
Alex Riche
Chris Seto
Greg Squires

Ethan Werek (less than four consecutive years in China / Team Canada)
Tyler Wong
Brandon Yip